Any Musicians Out There?

renman303

Just a quick tally to see if we have any musicians out there? Sorry if this is a repost!

I played drums for 10 years and have been playing guitar for the past 32. I also do luthier work and build one-of-a-kind electrics as well. My daughter, just turned 8 on Feb. 9 also plays drums. She's wicked good compared to how I was at that age. Any with only 6 lessons under her belt, she rivals most 16 year olds....I'll have to make a YouTube video.

Proud Papa, I am... :huh:

Dave "renman"

I am in the process of building my first guitar (east Indian rosewood b/s and cedar topped small body guitar based on the olson body style). I sold my guitar to fund the buying the tools, and have just started building #1. I will post some pictures when I make progress.

I have been playing guitar on and off for the last 18 years. More off than on for the last 8 years though. I think my last gig was over 5 years ago. I've thought about getting back into it, but between the other bazillion guitarists in this town and the fact I am really rusty at it. It is better if I just leave it to the professionals.

I always wished I learned the banjo... I love bluegrass as well

ckimble,

I'm in the same boat as you. There are 18 year olds that could now run circles around my playing! I do have some really cool vintage instruments. My grandfather was a very gifted player. He taught Joe Pass how to play. Joe lived a few blocks from him. I have my grandfathers acoustic guitar and his 1929 Yale 4 string banjo. I have no idea what to do with the banjo!!

mburton,

You took on quite a deal with building an acoustic as your first project! They are 5 times harder than electrics. But, both are equally hard in making the necks. Take you time and map out the radius prior to any carving. Make sure to use calipers all the way. Let me know if I can point you in the right direction!

I have an acoustic that I started some time ago but with my biz, I've had to put it on the back burner. I can't wait to get it finished. Before my mother died she bought me a 14K gold plaque that says "Custom Crafted by David Osmar". I'm going to mount it inside of the sound hole. It is patterened after a Martin MC-28, single cutaway. Just need to put the top and bottom on, fret it, bind it, and and polish it ( I hate laquer).

• 1 month later...

i used to play the bass guitar many moons ago, was a punk rocker in london :huh: only did one gig tho

im actually thinking of starting playing again, and just got a used fender jazz...maybe i'll actually

learn to play this time :D