Corals that can go with emporer angelfish

eaglesnest71405

I have a emporer angelfish that my wife really enjoys and I would like to put some coral with it but I'm uncertain if it's possible. The emporer is approximately a 4 inch juvenile. Let me know if you think they're is any coral I can put with him and if you have some I'll look it up and maybe we can work something out.

Thanks for any and all input.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Acropora

Stylophora

Pocillopora

Montipora

Toadstool Leather

Devil's Hand Leather

Ricordea Mushrooms

Horn Coral

Ridge Coral

Seriatopora

Pavona

Millepora

Chalice Corals

Favia / Favites

Cup Coral

That's the list of corals the Emperor Angel is safe with. You can try other corals, but each fish is different in what corals they will pick at and what they will not. You can try frogspawn, hammers, zoas, palythoas or other softer corals but make sure it is something that won't upset you if it gets damaged.

^ is a pretty good list. I would probably skip the favia's though. They're too close to acans IMO.

I would stay away from most LPS. Some SPS should be ok but it might nip the polyps especially if there is good extension. Most mushrooms should be good.

Part of the problem is that your angel already owns the tank, so you're more likely to have problems than if you introduced a juvenile in an established tank. Also, keep in mind that as they grow, they get more aggressive and less discriminatory in what they eat so something that might work now, might become a meal in a year or two.

Thanks for the list I'll look these up and see. Probably start with small frags of a coral if it makes it then get a bigger piece. I'll keep everyone posted on what i try for a reference point for future aquarist.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Not an emperor angel I saw, but on one of the discovery channel reef shows I was watching a couple weeks ago they had some pretty spectacular super slow motion high resolution footage of angelfish nipping polyps right out of their selections. Almost telescopic like the way a bass catches prey. Just sucked them right out of the branch super fast. One at a time

Emperors in captivity are proven to be kept with sps. Waikiki aquarium has an 18" specimen with clams in their outdoor tank. I recommend keeping it well fed with angel food so the change meta completes properly and it doesn't end up stunted.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Archived