Acrylic vs Glass Tank???

renman303

I am looking at various 200 gallon setups to upgrade my 55 gallon. Does anyone have experience with Acrylic?

I was looking at Tenecor

who specializes in acrylic tanks. They do make some compelling arguements for acrylic http://www.tenecor.com/info_lib_2.html

like light weight, clarity bettter than any glass tank and the ease of removing scratches (I have some in my 55 gal glass tank as well) and it's usually the only material used in very large applications.

Edited by renman303

if you think about it, people normally scratch the inside of a tank when moving rocks, adding corals, or scraping coralline. sure you can buff out scratches, but what are you going to do when all the scratches are on the inside of the tank, and the tanks full of water?

I have almost always owned acrylic tanks. Yes they will scratch and yes they are a little tougher

to clean. I always clean the inside with the white filter pad you can get in bulk at the LFS and as

far a cleaning the outside I always used the plain white wash cloths you buy in a 12 pack at

Walmart. Wet one for wiping the dirt and smudges off and another one dry for polishing the tank

dry. The other drawback is if you are using MH lighting avoid placing the bulb directly over the

braces, could soften the acrylic, just a precaution. Other than that you can't beat the clarity.

I also lived in California for a while and that is all you can use in the earth quake areas because

acrylic gives and won't shatter like glass.

Just my input hope it helps.

I have had both and prefer glass because of the scratching. In a saltwater environment there are just too many things that like to attach to the sides/front and glass is just simple easier to clean without damage. I did have an acrylic 60g for 7 years as a FW community tank and never got a single scratch so it can be done, but coralline makes it tough unless you like to clean daily. Another point that is often brought up is weight. A 200g glass tank is a 4-6 guy lift, while a 200g acrylic can be done with 2 guys IMO. But that advantage is only one time so it is worth it to get the extra guys IMO. Once the tank is full of water, sand, and rock the weight difference is minimal.

Rich,

Thanks for the insight. Same to everyone else. Great point on the weight, being it's a one time shot. Who's going to lift it after that? I'm sure I can muster 4-5 guys to help me put the tank in place when the time arises?

Cindy....great point on the MH heat. I can't find anyone that makes a "brick" tank with no supports on top, especially one that is 6' in length?

I've decided that I'm going with a tank that's Starphire glass on both long sides since it will be viewed from two sides. If I'm going to drop a few G's on a tank what's a few hundred to make it look rights???

Next is to decide on a tank from Oceanic , Glasscages or (someone told me about "Deep Sea" but, I'll be dipped if I can find them anywhere on the net????

Edited by renman303

Carlos,

Thanks for the link....The DSA tanks look really nice! I've heard that this is the company that bought out Oceanic?

I was looking at Glasscages as well. They have a 240 gallon that is 72x24x31 tall that is Reef Ready, bulkheads, 2 overflows, Starphire glass on both sides including stand for $1900 delivered to Dallas. I'd still have to drive up there but I'm sure the tank and stand would fit in my pickup. Seems like a really good price considering that I got a price on an Deep Sea 215 the other day with oak stand and it was also $1900. But the DSA did not have Starphire Glass.

I'm convinced....I want nothing to do with this company now! I phoned them for a quote and the lady who answered was very curt and snappy. I just chalked it up to someone falling off of the wrong side of the bed...I guess she did, and landed square on her head !

I will now check out "Aquarium Obsessed" and others. I'm going to post some pics here in a sec to show you where I want to put this tank. I'll start a new thread though so you can all see the progress.

Great help guys! Thanks for covering my 6 !!!!