Wavemakers

renman303

I was really interested in this Wave 2k From Marine Depot. I have seen it in action at the LFS near Northcross Mall. I've also seen the Tunze in action at AquaTec. Has anyone given this a shot? Half price compared to Tunze. It's a bit larger at 16" square but only 2" deep front to rear. The Tunze is smaller in L x W but 4+" in deep. Oh yea, the Wave 2K is about half the price as well.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage...ers_wave2k.html

Dave

Edited by renman303

ive seen the tunze box at aquatek, and provides short quik bursts of flow that seem to affect the whole water column. the wave2k has a slot at the top, and one at the bottom, and there is a plate inside that moves up and down. when the plate moves up, water is pushed out the top slot, while water is drawn into the bottom slot. and then it reverses direction and works in the oposite manner.

the only problem i could imagine with the wave2k is that it might kickup sand when blowing from the bottom, and then draw it into the unit when it reverses direction. i cant say that for sure because ive never used one, but its just a though. another thing i dont know is how fast it pushes water, which essentially affects how often it changes direction. vice versa actually. i dont think you can controll the speed tho. with the tunze unit cant you hook it to a controller?

My Tuze wavebox it very quite and dependable. If you've heard a loud one, it's likely that the owner hasn't cleaned it in some time. I found out that a lot of wavebox owners like to put food in them, and let it shoot out. I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. I do it on occasion, but I also clean my pumps regularly.

• 2 weeks later...
SO I have seen people mention b4 that a wavebox could shorten the life of your seals on the tank or cause concern for a blow out? True or False??

I don't see how that's even possible? A wave box is almost purely mechanical working like a plunger? The motor sits outside of the tank? I'd sure like to hear about this though. I was impressed in seeing it in action and love the fact that is does not clog. Theoretically, it's easy to build and can be done to almost any dimensions for about $30 in parts plus a motor. I have plans for DIY kit if anyone is interested?

I would highly recommend the Tunze over the wave 2k. I have a Wavebox and have seen the 2k in action.

The 2k is mostly mechanical as you mentioned which makes is way more prone to problems, The band at the top that turns it doesn't last long being that its over saltwater and starts to make noise. The Tunze is basically a powerhead so its only moving part is the prop inside. If your Tunze wave box breaks you can get parts locally usually that day (my prop broke and Bruce at Aquatek made a special trip to Rogers to get the part that day! What service!)

I have never seen anyone run a 2k wave box for a long period of time, most people I know that have had them eventually got wave boxes.

I would spend the extra money and get the one that will last and has great brand reputation. Plus the Tunze importer is in Austin and we love to support our local businesses!

SO I have seen people mention b4 that a wavebox could shorten the life of your seals on the tank or cause concern for a blow out? True or False??

I have heard this from multiple sources, but have never heard of it actually happening. I can see how it is possible with the water moving back and forth it is like constantly pushing on the side panels over and over again. Eventually I would think it would weaken the silicones grip. How long it would take is another thing to consider. If a normal tank's life is 15 years and it shortens it to 12-13, I would be ready for an upgrade by then.

exactly, it is supposed to weaken the seams cause by the back and forth motion of the movement and probably more importantly of the constantly changing pressure against the seals and sides

True or not I do not know, haven't been able to search anything on Reef Central

I have heard this from multiple sources, but have never heard of it actually happening. I can see how it is possible with the water moving back and forth it is like constantly pushing on the side panels over and over again. Eventually I would think it would weaken the silicones grip. How long it would take is another thing to consider. If a normal tank's life is 15 years and it shortens it to 12-13, I would be ready for an upgrade by then.

Here is a link to the testimonials on the Wave2K site. I have to agree that the Tunze being "tuneable" is more cost effective as the Wave2K is not tunable the way the company has it currently setup. Tanks over 120 gallons to 180 gallons motion is considered fair.

I'm building a prototype that will be "tuneable" but in the interim I will be buying a Tunze.

On the note of undo pressure on the seams, this is not feesible as the unit moves in an up and down motion and not front to back. Furthermore, an equal amount of water enters the top as is pushed out of the bottom and visa versa. I do think the design could be better and I will put some of my ideas and any you may have (PM me with these), into the prototype. I'd like to see what one unit could do on a 215 gallon or larger.

I have had both. For the price I paid for the Wave 2K, I have no complaints about it. I now own a Tunze Wave Box, and as long as I can afford it, will have those going forward. As far as I'm concerned when it comes to pumps, you can't go wrong with Tunze. I had a Wave 2K for about a year (maybe a little longer). Here are the pros and cons - Pros: makes a really nice wave action. The top pushes while the bottom pulls, then vice a versa. Mike (the owner) is tops in customer service. Cons: It's noisy. I had to do somewhat of a custom install and mod to get it to fit and work in my tank. Over the year or so I had it, and had to tear it apart and replace internal parts several times. Again, Mike was great, would help me troubleshoot it over the phones, and send out the parts quickly. It's noisy. In my opinion, the motor eats up a lot of electricity. Did I mention it is noisy?

Bottom line, IMHO, if you can afford a Tunze, get one. If you can't, and need a good wave flow in your tank, then the Wave 2K should be a consideration.

Stephen