Lighting Problem

Enigma13

I am having some problems with my MH lights on the reef tank. Changed bulbs to XM 250 DE 10K from the original Current bulbs. The XM bulbs only seem to be reaching 75% intensity. I returned the initial set of bulbs to Hellolights, but the replacement bulbs look the same (only 75% intensity). Starting to think the ballasts (magnetic M80) may be bad and not defective bulbs (though the ballasts fire the original Current bulbs at full intensity).

Is there anybody who has an extra 250 ballast laying around that I could use to run a test? My ballasts are still under warranty so I really do not want to buy another ballast yet, but I would be willing to pay a convenience/rental fee for the hour or two I would need the ballast. In the alternative if someone has a used XM 250 laying around I could test that to on my system to check things from the other side of it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

BTW- Lighting system is a Current USA Outer Orbit HQI/T5 combo. The one w/ 2-250W DE MH and 4-54W T5 actinics. Has anybody else had any experience with this fixture or heard of similar problems?

I have a CoralVue 250w E ballast that is wired for SE's I am supposed to be giving to Karen, but you could borrow it for a bit for testing assuming you have a DE fixture to wire to it.

If you are getting equal results out of both sides it has to be the bulb not agreeing with the ballast. IMO it is extremely unlikely both ballasts are going bad equally.

If you are getting equal results out of both sides it has to be the bulb not agreeing with the ballast. IMO it is extremely unlikely both ballasts are going bad equally.

This was my thought on both accounts. What is the chance that all four bulbs are faulty (two from each set). And what is the chance that both ballasts are bad. Also don't understand how they work with one set of bulbs and not the other. I know certain bulbs are not compatible with pulse-start electronic ballasts, but have never heard of bulbs not being compatible with magnetic ballasts (especially XM bulbs). Anybody else ever hear of something like this.

Steve,

Deposition ran far longer than I expected. I will give you a call Sat. morning. We should be heading up to N. Austin tomorrow.

I've got an extra ballast you can borrow.

I'm curious as to the results myself.

I've had ballast/bulb issues w/XM's.

Give me a call at 512-461-3120 whenever you want to come get the ballast.

Steve