100g Rimless with suspended canopy

OU12004

No problems with Hammers and Frogspawns, but my Rainbow hammer attacked a Favia and Chalice. My hammers sting Duncan's and my Torches have killed a branching Hammer.

• Like 1

Nice! Tank looks great. Is that a red dragon or a Mr. Pacman acro?

Red Dragon, I'm waiting for you to hook me up with the Pacman.
Oh yeah! Let Mr. Pacman settle into his new home for a bit and I'll cut you a frag. [emoji4]
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Just replaced my Reefbreeder photon’s after 6 years with the Photon V2+. One side was flickering to a lower power so I had to make the switch. I am hopeful that my SPS will start coloring up with this new light. I also broke down my bio-reactor and cleaned all the parts, so should should see a little lower nutrients. On a side note how long does it take for the base of SPS colonies to regain color? 

9456D8A6-4F60-4172-9B6A-F389A948A3DF.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 12:06 PM, OU12004 said:

. . . On a side note how long does it take for the base of SPS colonies to regain color?  . . .

Kinda depends.  First of all you should be aware there are aging processes in corals that may show as changes in coloration.  (This paper on aging in corals is fascinating but it is a bit thick:  https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/brv.12391)   An example below is of a Povona cactus colony in one of my tanks.  The change to brown is evident in the older polyps (lighting varies from ~150 - 175 PAR across the whole colony).  Light availability is also a very common factor in changes in coloration of the lower parts of colonies, once you've added your new lights I'd expect to see some improvemnet in a few weeks but if you don't see any after a couple months it's probably not going to happen.  And flow may be a factor also.  Growth of a colony plays a big factor in both of these variables.

Povona cactus age related color change.jpg

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...