100g Rimless with suspended canopy

OU12004

• 4 weeks later...

I have started moving coral over and the LPS look good but the Forest Fire and Seasons Greeting started bleaching out so I have moved them back. I have left some German Blue frags in, which bleached out, but are starting to look better.

I have reduced the light to 25% blue max and 15% white max. Ramping up over 8 hours on max for 5 hours.

You're gonna make Bigsby sad with that Christmas present ...

No sadness here! I've got right about $940 sitting in my paypal just from coral sales from December alone. Now if I can just pull the trigger and place the order on the apex gold versus some of the corals I have been eyeing online, I will be good to go. I can't decide if I actually need the gold version or not. But I am almost positive if I don't get the gold then I will regret it. I'm just waiting to make sure Santa doesn't leave it under my tree...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the Dome had 2 Copperband Butterflies, one was swimming around and looked good the other was hiding behind a rock and was not very active. I asked Hunter to feed them and the active one did not eat and the shy one attacked the food. I guess that's why you should see them eat and not go off which one you think looks better.

• 5 weeks later...

I moved my Dragon Soul favia over to my new tank and in the process I accidentally broke the rocks it was growing on apart and split it down the middle. I usually see frags that follow along the heads and not split down the middle, should I be worried?

I have had 3 sps mini colonies die this week and I think it is because I increased my ph from 7.8 to 8.15 over a 2 week period. All of the other corals look stressed out now to. I tested my other tank and it is still at 7.8 with all of the coral looking good. I guess this is what I get for chasing parameters that are listed as ideal instead of keeping everything stable even if it is out of range.

I used the Kent superbuffer DKH at a quarter teaspoon every other day and watched the ph until it hit 8 then stopped, but it went up to 8.15 after I stopped putting it in.

I did not test or add anything to my 30 gallon tank and the only loses I had were from corals falling on each other or them attacking each other over a 2 year period.

I got the Apex and figured I could keep everything inline if I could check it everyday for swings, but I am thinking about leaving it alone and just going back to weekly water changes. My concern would be that a drop back to 7.8 would do even more damage.

Honestly, I would never chase pH for any reason unless it's outside of 7.8-8.4. The other thing is I wouldn't recommend a buffer to fix any problem in a saltwater tank. You can get away with that in a freshwater system but in saltwater, when you added the buffer, the buffer probably affected your alk levels, which caused your SPS to die off.

If regular water changes worked well for you in the past, I'd stick with what works. As you continue to add SPS, you'll need to at least monitor your alk levels and make sure your water changes are keeping up with the usage of alk by the SPS. If at the point it isn't, then I'd look into additional supplementation of it.

I have a question about your bleaching corals. So it looks like you setup a new tank. What kind of lights do you have, are they the same kind from your other tank? Do the lights have UV in them? How long are you running your lights if they do have UV?

The corals originally bleached white but I reduced the lights to 25% blue and 20% white max and the color came back and the LPS opened back up. They were happy for a few weeks then I decided to change the ph and the with in a few days of the change 3 of 5 sps RTNed. I'm sure the change to LEDs did stress them and didn't help.