KimP's in-wall room divider build

KimP

Holy moly! Is it pink or purple?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's like a light pink? Just the regular color. I had the blues turned down but it always looks either that dark in pictures, or totally washed out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Got some goodies in yesterday.

IMG_20190116_210006~2.jpg

Parameters look good but I need to continue to bring my po4 down. Baby steps.

Today I attempted to do something about my light box. It's a mess up there and easy to forget about.

IMG_20190117_113050.jpg

I pulled everything out, took all the lights apart and cleaned them. 😬

IMG_20190117_113143.jpg

Tried to reorganize cords.

IMG_20190117_140448.jpg

My Apex head unit has been sitting around waiting for me to connect it again. That's as far as I got, just plugging it in. Hoping tonight I'll get a chance to see if it's working or not. If/when I get it working, then there'll be a bunch more cords up in that light box again because they'll need to be re-connected to each other. Such a mess. Now that all the lights are clean I need to carve out some time to see what kind of par I'm getting.

• Like 4

Plugged in the Apex display and it appears to be working. That's great news so far. I also sort of reluctantly put the heaters in. I took the temp of the water 5 different ways and got 4 different readings from 76-80. Not pleased about that. Next step is to test my thermometers and see if any are accurate before I set the heaters.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 2:46 PM, KimP said:

. . . Today I attempted to do something about my light box. It's a mess up there and easy to forget about.

IMG_20190117_113050.jpg

I pulled everything out, took all the lights apart and cleaned them. 😬

Tried to reorganize cords.

IMG_20190117_140448.jpg

. . . . If/when I get it working, then there'll be a bunch more cords up in that light box again because they'll need to be re-connected to each other. Such a mess. Now that all the lights are clean I need to carve out some time to see what kind of par I'm getting.

Are you going to organize your electronics drawer too?  :D

• Like 1

Are you going to organize your electronics drawer too?  [emoji3]
Ha! Believe me, I have tried. I think it's about as good as it can get considering it pulls out from both sides.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Tank is still doing fantastic. Seeing some really obvious, good growth on all my latest coral additions. Jolt has the good stuff guys! Slowly starting to get my phosphates down and I've been able to keep the alk steady.

I've been wanting to post a par map with my readings but these fts will have to do for now. 

IMG_20190213_174312.jpg

IMG_20190213_174323.jpg

IMG_20190213_171814.jpg

IMG_20190213_180626.jpg

• Like 4

[emoji33][emoji33]. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I'm starting to get excited about it. I hope the learning curve isn't too steep for the time I can allot. Looks like it's going to be really nice though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Picked up a new Apex at the dome Friday. Been putting it together bit by bit over the weekend. I've been really impressed by how much easier it is to set up than the classic. I've gotten snagged on a few things though, which might just be me overthinking. The probe placement and energy bars/outlets. 

For the probes, it's been a puzzle to figure out where the best spot is for each one with my sump layout. Here's a quick sketch I did.
IMG_20190217_113640.jpg
I came to the conclusion that the only spot I can use right now is area 2, because it's the only one that keeps a deep enough, constant water level. One of the problems is it's the first compartment after the drain, so there are tiny microbubbles even with the skimmer off.  I moved the heaters and doser output to section 4, right before the return pumps. All probes are currently sitting in section 2 until I come up with a better idea.

For the energy bars, I made a list of all the things I have to plug in:
Manifold
Return
DC pump closed loop on/off 
Sump light
Skimmer
Heater 1
Heater 2
Sump fans
Kessil power (power strip running up to light box and powering all 6 lights)
ATO
Doser
Battery back up air pump sump
Battery back up air pump DT

With this I'm trying to make sure nothing I'm running exceeds the ratings of each individual outlet and the total amps on the whole thing. Then just deciding what should be plugged into the eb832 and what should go in the eb8.

Just plugged my old display into the new apex and after a moment random things started to shut down. Pulled it right back out, and thankfully the lights and all came right back on. The backlight lights up on the display, but that's it. It doesn't display any information and I can't interact with it. So it looks like the head unit and display were both broken on my old set up. 

If it we're me with all the issues you have had with the classic, I'd put all non essential power outlets on the eb8 and keep the essential equipment on the eb832. I plan for my probes to go into the skimmer section and dose everything in the over flow section, so the turbulence can mix the product and the filter socks and take any of the solids out should there be any. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mhart032 said:

If it we're me with all the issues you have had with the classic, I'd put all non essential power outlets on the eb8 and keep the essential equipment on the eb832. I plan for my probes to go into the skimmer section and dose everything in the over flow section, so the turbulence can mix the product and the filter socks and take any of the solids out should there be any. 

That's great advice. I hadn't considered that there might be issues with the old eb8.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've been watching this interesting situation in my tank for a while. This setosa has another coral growing on the side of it. It's finally big enough to get a decent picture (credit to timfish) Eventually, hopefully, it'll get big enough to identify and break off. 

signal-2019-06-13-130138.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1