mini beckett or needlewheeel skimmer

hobogato

well, i was testing out a new idea for air injection, so i built a little skimmer. the new idea didnt work, but i converted the little skimmer into a beckett just to see what would happen. what i ended up with was a beckett skimmer that has a 8" X 9" footprint (not counting the drain) and is only 25" tall. probably good for a tank under 100gal. it could also be used with a needle wheel pump instead of a beckett for about the same size tank. looks a little rough, because i just used some scraps, and the water test is with a rio 1100 - nowhere near the pump needed to get the right bubbles from a beckett injector.

minibeckett.jpg

ok - now testing with a mag9.5 (thanks jose) that is more than enough pump - i have the output of the pump cut back considerably. it would probably work with a mag7. overall height is now down to about 23".

minibeckettest2.jpg

this is what it has produced in about 2 hours. i have it skimming a little too wet right now. it is running on the 20 gal fuge of my 29 gal classroom setup.

minibeckettest2b.jpg

Sedra, Oceanrunner, and Red Sea all sell needle wheel pumps. I'm sure there are others.

Ace, I have a Red Sea pump off a Berlin turbo. Might not be big enough, but you are welcome to try it.