Block LED ends

Eric

I'm looking for an LED setup to put over my current 35g hex, but could later move to the 90g I'm building. I tried a Kessil 150A over it, but the sound drove us nuts and I felt too much reflection back up on the ceiling.

I was thinking about returning for a BML I saw which I believe was a 24". That's too long for over the hex (18" would be right). Could I block the end leds with tape or something? I figure the lens side probably doesn't produce any heat.

Or would that just look ridiculous?

Better suggestion? I guess I could buy something that fits properly. I have two old florescent fixtures just sitting on top now, 1 18" bulb and 1 12". Nothing in the tank that requires high light. They were in a 14g biocube with their stdard lights previously. I would like a step up in the amount of light.

i used set my nano on top of a plastic cover that came with my little tank. it melted some of the plastic. i also have some beautiful pin-hole perforations in my plastic shelf organizers from the lights from when i would move it off the cover to access to the water.

what i'd worry about with the tape is the gummy residue left by melting glue when you were ready to pull the tape off and use the remaining 3 inches. if i were smarter i may worry about fires and heat build up on the LEDs themselves.

you might look into using aluminum to cover the leds on the end. This way the heat from the covered leds would be displaced quickly across the piece. also if you find some way to rap up the ends to the main heat sink it would displace the heat along the covers and the main heatsink

you might look into using aluminum to cover the leds on the end. This way the heat from the covered leds would be displaced quickly across the piece. also if you find some way to rap up the ends to the main heat sink it would displace the heat along the covers and the main heatsink

that seems like a good idea. you may even want to ask the BML guy and see what he thinks may be best. going around the cooling fins on top may reduce air flow, but just wrapping the foil up to the sides and tapping, zip tying, rubber banding...etc may work. as opposed to over the top. i'm sure this is a mountain/molehill issue as people probably block off some of the fins mounting the things.

that seems like a good idea. you may even want to ask the BML guy and see what he thinks may be best. going around the cooling fins on top may reduce air flow, but just wrapping the foil up to the sides and tapping, zip tying, rubber banding...etc may work. as opposed to over the top. i'm sure this is a mountain/molehill issue as people probably block off some of the fins mounting the things.

true that.

what ever you do monitor it (heat levels) and change as needed

Archived