Need Lighting help

Kohl531

I have a 72 gallon bow front tank that is currently FOWLR. I am looking to add some easy to care for corals, and anemones in the near future. However, I need the proper lighting before I get started. I just purchased a T5 light from here but once I got it home I realized that it was too wide for my bowfront. I could hang it from the ceiling in my game-room if I wanted my wife to divorce me lol.

Anyhow, can somebody help me in finding a good light that will accommodate my needs and fit on my bowfront. Wait there is one more thing....I am eventually going to be make a canopy for the tank so I know that makes things a little different. Thank you in advance for all of the help. I am very new to this and only used to working with fish where lighting is not a huge factor

I have a canopy over my 72g bow front (well it's a built in but there is still a roof over it). I hung a Reefbreeders Photon 48" over it. The light runs very cool so no worries about heat build up. Because the canopy was built to fit the curve of the front of the tank, the front corners of the light fixture hit the inside of the canopy at the front corners of the tank where the bow starts. Therefor, you do not get full light over the fron of the tank. I contemplated hanging a shorter light over the middle of the bow, but now I'm thinking I like the weaker light and shadows thrown by the rock work for placing coral like chalices and plates that don't like a lot of light. Instead of hiding them in some obscure place I can put then right up front where you can see them and still not have them under the direct light.

It's that easy to get your wife to run away ;) And all this time, they said it was hard! Ok, enough of the joking.

As Wade said above, but also, if space is a concern you could go with some of the canon fixtures like Kessil. They are very small and would fit in tight spaces.

Archived