Chalice or something else?

Wade

I bought this frag at a coral swap in NC a couple of months ago. The seller told me it was a chalice. Now I'm thinking it might be an elephant nose. They have different lighting and water current needs so I would like to have a definitive answer if possible. It's hasn't changed since I bought it other than perhaps losing a little bit of its vibrancy. What do ya'll think?

post-1837-0-38591100-1384007796_thumb.jp

I would say chalice which is a fairly ambiguous name for a large group of coral. I've never seen a sweeper on any of mine. The only common thing with mine is none like intense light, literally they do great in the shade even. I bleach them every time if I put them anywhere but the far corners of the tank.

What kind of light (intensity) do you have your under? I moved mine to partial shade (under an mushroom leather), but if it's an elephant nose it may need more light instead of less light.

if it's mycedium (which it looks like to me), that falls under the "chalice" trade name, which encapsulates several genera (oxypora, echinphyllia, echinopora, mycedium). The standard of care for chalices are generally the same IME: if your color is washed out, take it to lower light.

Archived