Third time's the charm?

Clark

Hi everybody!

After two failed tanks I gave up for awhile. I'm embarrased by how many corals I've lost over the years! But I'm back to try again with the 55g reef tank. I'm happy there is finally a reef club in Austin!

This time around I've replaced the PC lighting with a nice R420R LED light, added Koralia pumps for some wave action, and supplemented the Rubbermaid sump with a canister filter. It's been running since January with live sand and rock, a blenny, and two firefish. Last month I began adding some tiny frags of leather tree coral and green star polyps from River City's $15 bargain bin. And a rose BTA which is blooming nicely.

Once I restore my depleted Mg and Ca levels and learn to maintain them I'm hoping to give acropora a try for the first time to get that "genuine reef look". <bites nails>

I'd like to learn about 2-part dosing and more about coral feeding to keep this tank healthy for many years to come.

I look forward to meeting you all at the club meetings!

Clark

• 3 weeks later...

Clark,

After 44 years of reef keeping, I like to keep it simple. Considering that the inhabitants of the tank determine methods and equipment, may I suggest that you leave SPS out of your start up. There are many biothemes that are simplistic and assure long term success.

A simple dosing regime is to use aroggonite substrate. It will begin dissolving when pH goes below 8.1. Unless you are maintaining fast growing SPS, dosing is not required, if you use the natural buffering of aroggonite substrate.

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Patrick, I'm avoiding acropora except for the free piece Ty gave me. I'm going to dip my toes into a litte Montipora which I read is much easier. Otherwise it's mostly softies. More people are telling me my inhabitants won't be draining CA much so I can keep that up with simple means as you suggest.

Gig'em, this time around I could finally afford proper PAR lighting without creating heat (LEDs), and a canister filter to efficiently pass water through whatever media may be required from time to time. The colts exude a toxin now and then so I have carbon in there to address that and Chemi Pure Elite for the "new tank" algae blooms. And now I built my own ATO and digital temperature control to keep the water much more stable than before and to help maintain the system when I invariably work overtime. That used to be the biggest risk to the tank.

Cheers

Archived