Rob's 150 wrasse haven

RobR

Today I picked up my new tank and stand. Tank is a planet aquariums reef ready 140 gallon with center overflow. The dimensions are 48.5"x24.5"x29.5" it has an acrylic bottom and two side braces. Planet builds some really nice tanks. It's on a matching coastal black stand. It will probably be December before I collect everything to have it fully up and running, but it's a start.

The main lighting I am planning for this tank is 2 x 250w radiums powered by 2 aquamedic Reeflex cube M80 ballasts. Already have the bulbs and ballasts still trying to decide on reflectors. I am teetering between 2 hamilton Caymen suns or 2 lumen bright mini pendants. Got some time to decide. My plan is to run an led strip most likely a 48" BML super actinic for supplemental lighting.

Still need a sump. The plan is a 40 breeder with and eBay kit or maybe DIY. Will probably move my swc skimmer from my 55 at least initially. Still have to decide of return pump or pumps. Will also keep my gfo reactor and two brs dosing pumps for the new setup. Will also reuse the ato.

For flow inside the tank gonna move my mp40 and eventually add a second one or maybe a tunze wave box. Maybe both?

All of my livestock and live rock will move to the new tank. Got a melanurus wrasse, ornate leopard wrasse, lyrtail anthia, pink spot goby, tail spot blenny, yellow eye kole tang, and clownfish with their RBTA. The plan is to add maybe another tang purple, yellow or maybe powder blue or brown. Prolly some more wrasses as well. Would love to add a ritteri anemone and maybe some more clams. The plan is to be mixed reef but heavy on SPS. Will also probably add 20-50 lbs of rock to the already 80ish in my 55. As for substrate still undecided but will probably go with a 3-4 inch sandbed of medium to fine white aragonite.

Well that's it for now will update as the build moves along... Feel free to comment all advice is welcome especially when it comes to plumbing as I still don't really have any idea what I'm doing in that respect ?

post-1549-0-23159800-1380942737_thumb.jppost-1549-0-98795800-1380942758_thumb.jppost-1549-0-75298800-1380942774_thumb.jp

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice tank I love my rimless 120 from planet it's same dimension as yours but only 25" high. Who did you order your tank through?

Thanks! Their tanks are absoluelty awesome. Been watching your build, and I love your external overflow... Was teetering between a DSA and the planet but after seeing your tank and a couple of their other tanks at the LFS, Planet was a done deal! Almost went with an external as well but didn't want the extra little bit sticking out the back as I am limited on space aleady. I got the tnak and stand through aquatek during their annual sale...

awesome ya i understand about the overflow but i love that i have the whole tank to use. Planet definitely makes great tanks and so does DSA my last tank was a 190 from DSA. If you need help with plumbing lmk I built a manifold and it runs my return,chiller,UV,carbon and phosban Reactors. i could get it to run my bio pellets but i'll do it another time when i hook up the CA Reactor too. you can come by and check it out sometime if you want. I like the look of hard plumbing but having to take it apart in the future sucks.

Great update Rob. You'll be glad you have a PA tank. I really like mine. It is built like a tank. You could probably get 2-3 yellow tangs like me and call it a day on the tangs. Get them small and grow them. Your "my" melanurus wrasse is still eating like a pig. I added some sand and he is in love now.

Very nice. I like the dimensions.

I went with hard plumbing myself, used CPVC because I liked the spigot style valves that were available instead of the ball valves. I didn't want to be torquing the plumbing so much to open and shut valves. I used to hate plumbing but now, after this project, I feel much more comfortable with it. One suggestion that was made to me, that I incorporated is a valve on the return a Y. I use that when I do water changes makes it easy, open a valve and it goes in a bucket. It makes me more prone to actually do water changes. Second advice I got was to use unions for connecting devices. Makes it easy to remove for service.

You seem up in the air on return pump(s). I went with dual Eheim 1262. They move a lot of water and are super quiet. I've always been happy with all of the Eheim products I've owned and these are no exception.

Are you planning on a chiller with the halides? May not be necessary with two halides but I'm curious.

-Grog

Great update Rob. You'll be glad you have a PA tank. I really like mine. It is built like a tank. You could probably get 2-3 yellow tangs like me and call it a day on the tangs. Get them small and grow them. Your "my" melanurus wrasse is still eating like a pig. I added some sand and he is in love now.

Glad to hear that the melanurus is still eating like a pig, the last time I saw him he was huge... They are awesome fish. Didn't know you had a planet tank... They are absolutely built like tanks! Yeah maybe a couple of yellows... I really want a purple but I guess we'll see still got some time to decide.

Very nice. I like the dimensions.

I went with hard plumbing myself, used CPVC because I liked the spigot style valves that were available instead of the ball valves. I didn't want to be torquing the plumbing so much to open and shut valves. I used to hate plumbing but now, after this project, I feel much more comfortable with it. One suggestion that was made to me, that I incorporated is a valve on the return a Y. I use that when I do water changes makes it easy, open a valve and it goes in a bucket. It makes me more prone to actually do water changes. Second advice I got was to use unions for connecting devices. Makes it easy to remove for service.

You seem up in the air on return pump(s). I went with dual Eheim 1262. They move a lot of water and are super quiet. I've always been happy with all of the Eheim products I've owned and these are no exception.

Are you planning on a chiller with the halides? May not be necessary with two halides but I'm curious.

-Grog

Cool thanks for the advice, I def wanna do something like you said for water changes... I like the idea of running two return pumps as well. This will be my first time plumbing a tank, so.... Thanks for the advice

As for a chiller no I hadn't planned on it. Right now I am planning open top and with the lights 12" form the surface I am hoping I won't need one. A lot is going to depend on the reflectors too, I think.... I've read the lumen brights can be hung a little higher which helps dissipate the heat a little better. But mh stuff is becoming hard to find. I know LEDs are the future, just not 100% sold on all LEDs yet...

I had a giant smile on my face when I saw you were setting up the tank with MH. I like LEDs too, just not 100% sold yet either... but I am getting closer and closer as they continue to nail down the perfect spectrum. Call me 85% sold. wave.gif

I don't run a chiller on my system with 3 MH's in an enclosed hood with only the back open. Average temperature is 82 and everything is happy in my tank. I do have the Apex turn on two clip-on walmart fans to cool while the lights are on.

Definitely like the look of the new system. Looking forward to the build.

Mine runs for a couple of minutes here and there when my halides are fired up (I run them for 6 hours). I'm using 3 250W bulbs, with two bulbs I don't know if I'd need the chiller or fans to keep at 80. That is why I was asking.

I need to play with fans and monitor it. I want to ditch the chiller. Its loud and I want to re-purpose it for a frag tank in the garage. Noise won't be an issue out there.

Either way, I'm sticking with halides for a while too.

I had a giant smile on my face when I saw you were setting up the tank with MH. I like LEDs too, just not 100% sold yet either... but I am getting closer and closer as they continue to nail down the perfect spectrum. Call me 85% sold. wave.gif

I don't run a chiller on my system with 3 MH's in an enclosed hood with only the back open. Average temperature is 82 and everything is happy in my tank. I do have the Apex turn on two clip-on walmart fans to cool while the lights are on.

Definitely like the look of the new system. Looking forward to the build.

Really glad to see that there are still some MH fans out there. It seems like more and more are making the switch to LED. For me I just haven't seen (in person or online pics) any SPS tanks where the corals are as colorful under LED as MH. What bulbs do you run on your tank? Also what reflectors do you run?

Mine runs for a couple of minutes here and there when my halides are fired up (I run them for 6 hours). I'm using 3 250W bulbs, with two bulbs I don't know if I'd need the chiller or fans to keep at 80. That is why I was asking.

I need to play with fans and monitor it. I want to ditch the chiller. Its loud and I want to re-purpose it for a frag tank in the garage. Noise won't be an issue out there.

Either way, I'm sticking with halides for a while too.

Grog what bulbs and reflectors do you run?

I too will never give up my halides, from what I can tell LEDs seem to grow algae easy. JMO, I have 200Ws of them and im starting to think I may go back to T5HO bulbs. I run a chiller.

Jeremy your tank is awesome, but I didn't know you were still running halides. For some reason I thought you had switched to all LED. Either way it is good to know there are some MH experts out there!

Sweet tank! Nice and deep can't wait to see it come along

Thanks, will try and keep this as up to date as possible as new stuff comes in!

I have been running the cheap Plusrite bulbs (250-watt 20k SE) for the last two years... $13/bulb. I have 3 in the tank with the mini-lumenarc reflectors.

My tank is mainly SPS dominant with a few zoas and LPS here and there. $39/year for bulbs and on average bought ballasts for $30-$40 each used and reflectors for $35-$40 used since they are considered older technology with so many transitioning to LED.

Grog what bulbs and reflectors do you run?

Using the Plusrite 250W DE myself. Ty was the first one I heard about them from, then a couple of us did a small group buy. They are inexpensive and the color on the 20k bulb is more like 14k but it is a great deal for the money.

I'm running mine in an Odyssea 72" fixture (3 250W halide, 4x 80W T5, and 8 LED moonlights). Stock reflectors. Cheap fixture but it gets the job done.

I'm still playing with the color mix for the T5 supplement, currently running the stock Odyssea T5 bulbs and they SUCK. Greenish and last about 6 weeks. LOL. Since this is mainly for color pop and a dusk effect, my top choice is to go with 2 Giesemann Pure Actinic and 2 Blue Plus but that may change. I'm not concerned about PAR from the T5, only using to tweak the visual.

Quick pic update of ballasts and bulbs.

Still trying to decide on reflectors... I am really leaning towards the lumen bright mini pendants just because they can be hung like 16-20" from the water surface. Like the idea of being that high for tank access as well as not a lot of heat to the tank.

post-1549-0-68832800-1381517721_thumb.jp

I might have missed it in the description but you planning on building a canopy for it? Will it be a floating canopy or sit on top? Always thought about suspending one from the ceiling but not sure I have the skills to make it look nice and not slapped up there.

The plan right now is to get some 3/4" electrical condiut paint it black and hang the pendants form there. A suspended canopy would be cool, maybe that is something to look into down the road. I think that the electrical conduit would be strong enough to hold it....

• 2 months later...

Been awhile since I have updated this. Been busy with work and school, but have been moving along aquiring stuff to get this bad boy up and running. Got a 48" BML super actinic for my supplemental lighting. Also got a 40 breeder from the petco $1 a gallon sale that I will be using for my sump. Just gotta get my baffles cut and silicobned in place. Now i am waiting on my new skimmer (aqaumaxx cone-2), return pump (laguna flo-max 1350), and halide pendants (hamilton cayman sun). Picked up my bulkheads and some loc line and hopefully will start on my plumbing this week. Gonna do a herbie with a 1" full siphon and 1" emergency, then 2- 3/4" returns form the laguna. Still need to get my substrate which I thinik is going to be 2-2.5" of tropic eden reeflakes. Will post some pics as the new equipment starts showing up...

• 3 weeks later...

K so hopefully get some more work done this weekend.

Got the sump built and hopefully get it leak tested today...post-1549-0-69345500-1389979199_thumb.jppost-1549-0-70774400-1389979226_thumb.jppost-1549-0-09544700-1389979253_thumb.jp

The new rock and substrate are also waiting for the new tank!

post-1549-0-22448500-1389979302_thumb.jppost-1549-0-83252400-1389979324_thumb.jp

Here's new skimmer aquamaxx cone 2

post-1549-0-62965900-1389979418_thumb.jp

And laguna 1350 return pump

post-1549-0-52929900-1389979466_thumb.jp

The new reflectors which are the hamilton cayman sun with 250w radium bulbs

post-1549-0-07363800-1389979516_thumb.jp

And here's all the parts to finish the plumbing

post-1549-0-05186900-1389979568_thumb.jppost-1549-0-72058900-1389979607_thumb.jp

The BML super actinic and brs screen cover

rpost-1549-0-38438800-1389979660_thumb.jp

So I am really hoping to get the sump in the stand and finish the plumbing this weekend, if I have time a leak test of the tank as well. After that it will be time to add the new rock and substrate and get this thing cycling... Still have to figure out how I'm going to hang the lights, I am thinking I'm just gonna hang me from the ceiling and keep it simple.

Archived