230g coming out of storage - Round Rock

ceastman

My kids are old enough to appreciate my hobby that has been dormant for almost a decade. I had my 230g setup in Connecticut but moved to Round Rock and put the whole setup into storage. But now it is time to dust it off and catch up on all the new technology changes.

I have a 230g main tank - 84 x 23.5 x 27, 80g sump - 48 x 20 x 20 and a 50g refugium 36 x 18 x 18. I am going to switch out my MH and HO fluorescent for LED and probably get a Neptune Apex to replace my Aqua Controller II. I will use the Tunze turbelle pumps I have and put some newer ones on my x-mas list. I am hoping my Iwaki main pumps still work, I do have to find a replacement front casing for one of them. I have some gear from MRC - Nilsen reactor, a dual chamber calcium reactor and a protein skimmer.

I have started dabbling in making my own rock, which has been a lot of fun. White Portland cement and crushed oyster shells.

I'll probably start a thread in the Tank build forum also.

You will definitely want to inspect the tank silicon and seams very carefully after having stored it that long! They are prone to leaks with long dry storage, especially in hot weather... Even in climate controlled storage, you will want to take your time inspecting it and most likely testing its strength before you get too far along. You don't want to have the whole thing set up for a month or so and spring a leak...

Welcome, glad you found the club and good luck with everything. Let us know if you need any help.

Woods - that's a good idea, what should I look for in the seams and silicon joints? Are there any shops in the area that offer that service? I did fill the tank to about 1/4 full and everything seemed fine.

I would just look to make sure your inner seams still look good and haven't been scraped off or damage over the years and then also check the silicone sandwiched between the glass panels for large bubbles. I am sure someone else will chime in with better advice but that's what I usually look for.

What Ty said... As well as I would fill it FULL with tap water for a week or so to make sure it can handle the stress load from a full tank for a length of time. The seams will not be stressed until it is FULL. For checking the Silicone it should still be soft and not hard or cracked or brittle... Contact between the Glass and Silicone should be good and not separated...

Hope this helps...

Archived