Noisy Durso

jestep

This durso looks like it's setup correctly but constantly gurgles. Not sure if the air hole is too small or my flow is too high. Noise level doesn't change if I cover the air hole. Straight drop directly into a filter sock. No bends at all. Running on a Eheim compact 2000+ pump. Just guessing, it's probably about 400 actual GPH.

IMAG1117%20(Custom).jpg

I had the same thing going on with mine last month. My air hole on top was clogged just needed to b cleaned off

I did double check that it's not clogged but it isn't a very large hole. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm assuming that if I throttle the pump and the noise goes away it means the air hole is not large enough for the amount of flow.

Can you put some airline tubing in the hole? Then you can pull up or down on it until it quiets down.

Possibly. I'm thinking it's too narrow right now since there's no change when I shut off the airflow completely, but it might be the right diameter to fit airline tubing directly in it.

This durso looks like it's setup correctly but constantly gurgles. Not sure if the air hole is too small or my flow is too high. Noise level doesn't change if I cover the air hole. Straight drop directly into a filter sock. No bends at all. Running on a Eheim compact 2000+ pump. Just guessing, it's probably about 400 actual GPH.

IMAG1117%20(Custom).jpg

When it gurgles does the water level in your overflow change - like drop suddenly? Also - that water line looks a lot lower then it does in my durso pipe.

I'd suggest opening up more air to the pipe - especially because the noise 'doesn't change' if you plug it up. When working properly - if you plug the hole in your durso it should siphon water down to the bottom of that 90 degree elbow.

Also - I'd look to drill several smaller holes instead of enlarging the existing hole. This helps to safeguard against something plugging up the hole and starving the pipe of any air.

IMAG1117%20(Custom).jpg

When it gurgles does the water level in your overflow change - like drop suddenly? Also - that water line looks a lot lower then it does in my durso pipe.

I'd suggest opening up more air to the pipe - especially because the noise 'doesn't change' if you plug it up. When working properly - if you plug the hole in your durso it should siphon water down to the bottom of that 90 degree elbow.

Also - I'd look to drill several smaller holes instead of enlarging the existing hole. This helps to safeguard against something plugging up the hole and starving the pipe of any air.

Also - just from the pic - it looks like you have two different water lines in the over-flow. I'd say this is a solid indicator the air flow is not enough.

You don't have enough air going into it, looks like you have a small siphon. I have the same one as you and when the water goes down to the holes on the left pipe it's because not enough air is going in through the top and it's making a suction. I made the top hole bigger and it's silent now

Archived