Coral beauty Angle Fish is it reef safe

Lorie C

In all my years of keeping dwarfs and reefs I've only once seen a dwarf angel eat a coral. And I was glad it did, it was a damaged frogspawn polyp and a dwarf angel eagerly ripped it to shreds and left all the healthy polyps alone. I have also seen this same thing happen with a damaged acan colony that had the damaged polyps picked clean by a Zebrasoma rostrum tang and several wrasses, once the damaged polyps were removed the fish moved on leaving the healthy polyps alone.

Ok I was hoping there was a reef safe puffer as my husband owns a inflatible bounce house buiness and we thought puffer would be cool in the office tank

Sounds like an episode of Tanked, and they would just throw it in there.

Ok I was hoping there was a reef safe puffer as my husband owns a inflatible bounce house buiness and we thought puffer would be cool in the office tank

Technically, puffers don't eat coral. So you could put one in a tank in his business and still have corals. They will eat all of your beneficial inverts though, so you can't have any snails, shrimp, crabs, etc, in the tank. There are lots of things that aren't "reef safe" in books but can do just fine in coral tanks. I've seen enough successful coral display tanks that also have puffers, groupers, lions, large wrasses, eels, and such within them. You should be careful when stocking a tank with any of these larger fish because they cause a heavy bioload.

In all my years of keeping dwarfs and reefs I've only once seen a dwarf angel eat a coral. And I was glad it did, it was a damaged frogspawn polyp and a dwarf angel eagerly ripped it to shreds and left all the healthy polyps alone. I have also seen this same thing happen with a damaged acan colony that had the damaged polyps picked clean by a Zebrasoma rostrum tang and several wrasses, once the damaged polyps were removed the fish moved on leaving the healthy polyps alone.

My experience has been similar to Timfish. I had a Flame Angel for 2 years and he ate all of my GSP and Yellow Polyps, but left the LPS alone. I had a Coral Beauty for 5 years and I've never witnessed him eating anything. With that said though, every book I've ever read says they may or may not nip at LPS.

Archived