Wireless thermostat

JCAB

I wasn't sure where to post this...Austin Energy is offering an $85 rebate if you install an approved wireless thermostat (ecobee and nest are on the list) and you allow them to turn off your a/c during peak periods for a short amount of time (which can be overridden). I just had an ecobee installed and, like the nest, you can monitor the temperature remotely, have it send you notices if the temperature gets below or above whatever number you choose, etc. I thought this was an alternative/additional safety measure to an apex/reefkeeper. I know it only helps with the heat issue, but thought I'd throw it out there.

My parents signed up for this in Dallas and absolutely hate it. I'm all for conserving, but the inconvenience of not controlling your own power is not worth the $85. I have two Filtrete wireless thermostats (upstairs, downstairs). They're programmable, and more importantly are wirelessly accessible via browser or native iphone and android apps. Next to keypad deadbolts they're the best add-ons I've put in the house, and ran less than $100 each. The setup is a bit of a pain if you're not a techie but once they're up and running they're awesome. No monthly fees for accessibility, and with my custom program I save more than I would allowing the power company to control them.

I think I'm leaning towards just a better programmable one. Will check out those filtrete ones. I didn't quite realize the Austin Energy one wasn't a normal one. I pretty much have a complete disdain for Austin Energy and giving them any control over my electricity is a non starter. They shut our power off that summer it was really hot (wrong house), and almost killed our dog and did kill an entire discus tank. Of course "they aren't liable for damage or pet deaths" caused when they shut someone's power off, deliberate or not.

Archived