Hunting Rifles

Stephen

Hey guys, so I'm in the market to purchase my first hunting rifle for this upcoming deer season and wondered if anyone had any experience with the Savage axis .270 or Marlin XL7 .270? I almost bought the Savage Axis up at Gander Mt today for a good price of $279. It seemed to have great reviews for the inexperienced hunter, but got less than desirable reviews from the experienced crowd. I found a used Marlin XL7 for $299 and I'm thinking about jumping on it. New ones go for about $400. Seems to have a better trigger and stainless steel barrel. Any thoughts? I'm open for other suggestions if anyone has any on some other rifles <$400. Thanks

Weatherby vanguard or remington 700 would probably be my picks. Even the entry level rifles are going to be really good guns. I believe you can find them for right at $400.

I have not shot either of those you listed so can't comment directly. You might see if any of the shooting ranges have models you can demo.

weatherby, winchester, remington are my rifles of choice for the field. you pay more up front, but my weatherby has never FTF'ed. Kimber/Browning also is worth mentioning. I've had a few savage armaments, and don't have any complaints aside from the quality of their OEM stocks. If I were you, I would visit the non-reefer ARC. Austin Rifle Club, and check out what the guys are using out there. Pay attention to those that are having issues with muzzle lift, jamming(FTF), etc... take notes... it'll save you a world of hurt later... I still use my fathers Winchester 30/30 and 30-06 (REM 770) for game clearing.

and I like my 1930's Mosin. tongue.png Kicks like a mule but gets the job done. Red dot only, no scope as I didn't want to spend $ on turning the bolt down.

Have a .270 that I've never fired. May do that this weekend.

I have a Savage 270 that I bought when I was 18 and it has been threw all the trials and tribulations, shoots great with just your average off the shelf Remington corelock bullets. I have tried nice ammo like Hornady and hand loads and my gun just shoots the best with the corelock. For the deer here in Texas anything from a 223,22-250,30-06,243 will be fine. The other thing is that I haven't shot a deer with a gun in over 7 yrs, im one of the luck ones that gets to start deer season this weekend. Its SO much more exilerating to shoot a deer with a bow.

I use a .243 bolt action Remington Model 700. The Leopold scope cost twice as much as the rifle. In my opinion, the .243 is the best all around varmint gun that I have ever used. At 500 yards, it belongs to me.

Patrick

They are like poodles. I've got a 27 point on the wall. Dressed out at 375. I like the spread on that rack

Yeah, gonna need to see proof of that before believing you. ;)

They are like poodles. I've got a 27 point on the wall. Dressed out at 375. I like the spread on that rack

Yeah, gonna need to see proof of that before believing you. ;)

I'll get it next time I'm at that house no problem. It came out of southern Illinois on our old farm. The doe up there are larger than the bucks in Texas.

Pretty much every whitetail we've gotten here was 150lbs max. Back in Colorado almost everything I've ever seen was 300+, mule deer though.

They definitely taste better here. I guess tree bark and sage brush for 6 - 9 months of the year doesn't lend well to flavorful meat.

im kinda cheating since this guy is a mule deer. white tail ARE much smaller. but at the ranch I worked we fed year round so there were some big white tail. I got some pics yall might appreciate. might post later

Nice pics y'all!

I shoot a Savage .223 with open sights. Yes, I AM a billy-badass with open sights :) And remember folks, bullet placement trumps both mass and velocity (who can name the author of that quote?)

I do a lot of brush hunting. so a huge amount of knockdown power is just not needed. However, when needed, the .223 can reach out and touch something. It's a very flat shooting gun, but not a lot of punch once you get out there a ways.

Archived