Project: Backyard Pond

Makena95GT

Friday I went to my homeland, Fort Stockton, TX and came home with a 60 gallon "pond" aka a huge plastic super thick super sturdy tub that someone had rigged a pump onto.

I came home Sunday and began the cleaning of the pond. Rinsed it out and scrubbed with some hot fresh water. Decided where I wanted it and went ahead and set it in the spot, filled it, and got me some fish thanks to being able to rig a canister filter on the pond. Here my little ghetto layout of what I want to do. Tomorrow my brother said he will dig the whole for the pond. Then off to the creek for some rocks for the border. I recently got some Salvia plants from Lowes on clearance because they were done blooming and "looked" dead. I pruned them down. They're still in the pots from the store, but have grown quite a few leaves since i've pruned them. They are going to the right of the pond next to the fence. I have a rosebush to the left. I picked this spot because it's nice and shady most of the day and away from where leaves can fall into it.

My only concern right now if the Raccoon that has been hanging out here. My Chihuahua apparently made friends with it and they play together (rabies waiting to happen) But I no longer have a trap to catch the thing. I don't want him grabbing my fish. And my brother wont let me kill it cause he likes it -_-

DSC_1128.jpg

The pump that is in there has a PVC fitting, figured I can extend the fitting and have a little fountain thing going on, oxygen!

DSC_1126.jpg

DSC_1127.jpg

My 5 goldies. One white, one black, one gold, one white and gold, one with a hitler mustache, and one black and gold. Going to drain the pond while were digging and reseal the hole where that cord goes through the side. Keep fishies in a bucket.

DSC_1129.jpg

My Salvia twigs :)

Also going to add on to this old 1930's shelf I have to make it water tight to put any electrical plugs in, and the extension cord will run under the ground to the plug near the back door. One day I'd like to get a solar panel to run the pond, but that will have to wait lol

This should be my last addition to my back yard. I have a lemon tree recently planted and a tomato plant chilling on the back porch. My dad moved out just a few weeks ago, right when I came to ARC. So I've been doing my best to keep the yard up to par. Also working on a fence. Once I get the pond and fence done I'll finish cleaning everything up and get some shots of the yard for you guys. It's kinda my pride and joy :3

Good start. I love ponds too! And you should get some lilies to hide those fish fast. Birds and raccoons will eat them all in one day. I've had koi that were two feet long get eaten in one night. 30 of them. That's hard to wake up too.

Well I know for sure no birds will come around. My rather large evil cat has pretty much made birds extinct on my block :/

I was thinking of having some sort of white netting shaped tent-style over the pond. Leaves won't sit on it and Mr. Coon can't get in. Make it so I can remove/open it when I need to feed the fish or do a water change, maintenance, etc.

My oh so kind brother dug up the hole, I backfilled. I wanted the pond to be a few inches higher than the ground in case of heavy rains, I don't want runoff going into my pond. My yard is pretty slanted, as you can tell LOL

So all that is needed now is the border rocks and a cover, as well as the electrical stuffs and a place to keep the filter. I have a cinderblock sitting sideways in there to give the goldfish somewhere to hide if the Coon does in fact try to grab them. The fish are all VERY healthy and strong swimmers. When I emptied the pond today to move it and dig the hole, I forgot I did not have a net. Catching goldfish by hand. Fun.

Also resealed the cord area early this morning. I only sealed the outside because I wasn't sure is the sealant I had was sae for fish and I have heard that silicone doesnt stick well to the rubber/plastic of the pond itself and the cord. Either way, I used what I had on hand.

Bought a huge section of PVC for $1 at lowes. Cut it down and have a super ugly ghetto fountain. Hoping to order a fountain kit or rig up my own soon. Then on to get some pea gravel or river rocks for the ottom and maybe add some small potted plants in there as well. To be honest I have not been more proud in years.

ALSO: Landed an interview at The Fish Gallery today and the GM, Dave said he would like to start me this or next week :D Not many hours but a job is a job, and fish are awesome!

DSC_1134.jpg

The pond may look tilted in the photo but I assure that the pond and the water is perfectly level. Its my darn yard thats all crooked :P

Also going to go grab some of my mosquito fish from the pond at CHS to toss in here, maybe just 5 for now. They'll breed pretty fast. There are hundreds there, and they came from a group of 15 that I had caught out at Walnut Creek.

A few more than 5 mosquito fish got added o.o Maybe 10. Also rescued a little hatchling Red Eared Slider from the school. Some jerk of a student ditched him in a cup with no water :(

He was going to go into the big pond but we've had bad luck keeping turtles there so I brought him home, and threw together a little place for him for the next week or so until I feel comfortable putting him in my pond. Probably will keep him inside till I get the net to go over the pond. I'll only be keeping him here till he gets big enough to survive the big pond at Connally. With him wanting warm water and the fish wanting cold water.. they won't be happy together :/

His current home is a "goldfish bowl" with a little rock for him to chill on and a betta bowl heater. Super cute little dude though. Wish I could keep him forever.

1380123161061.jpg

1380123063108.jpg

DSC_1135.jpg

Also set up that leaky canister filter in the pond. Looks reaaaallly ghetto right now because I totally forgot some of the tubing and connectors at the school. Figured since it leaks I'll set it on my cinderblock and BAM! It leaks right back into the pond. Problem solved!

Nice turtle. We found an alligator snapping turtle out at the RIver Place golf course about the same size (yes I know they're not supposed to live here, but no question what it was). Almost ran over the poor guy on the cart path. Town lake has at least 1 alligator snapper now...

I'd chase off that raccoon though. It's almost a guarantee they'll try and eat your fish and likely will end up with rabies. They're cute while young and can get pretty nasty when they grow up.

The Coon is actually an adult. He's pretty big. Looks like a small bear lol I want to trap him and just take him up to Lake Travis but I has no trap :( I do have one of those ScareCrow systems. I'll try to install it near the pond, though idk how well it will work at night

The Coon is actually an adult. He's pretty big. Looks like a small bear lol I want to trap him and just take him up to Lake Travis but I has no trap sad.png I do have one of those ScareCrow systems. I'll try to install it near the pond, though idk how well it will work at night

if you call the humane society they can probably get you in contact with someone who will trap him for you.

they may also vaccinate him for rabies and do other medical stuff to him. not sure.

Patrick I might just take you up on that. Only thing I'm afraid of is if my car gets her leg caught up in the trap and gets hurt. She's old and a little fragile now but she's also an outdoor cat.

I don't see the Coon as cute at all. I dislike it cause he ruins my plants :(

Patrick I might just take you up on that. Only thing I'm afraid of is if my car gets her leg caught up in the trap and gets hurt. She's old and a little fragile now but she's also an outdoor cat.

I don't see the Coon as cute at all. I dislike it cause he ruins my plants :(

The trap does not hurt the animal. Door closes when animal steps into cage. Patrick

They'll probably also charge me sad.png and I have no money. If someone could snag him for free I'd totally do it

it should be free. but patrick's way may be faster. of course, doing it yourself is actually illegal. so don't get caught.

Is shooting it illegal?

Probably not. Funny how that works. I read a story about a guy that ate a dove that flew into his house. Watched it happen, dove was dead and he didn't wan't it to go to waste. He made a facebook or some other social network post, and fish and game showed up. Only reason they didn't fine him was there was a massive outcry online. http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/newshound/2012/10/texas-man-trouble-law-eating-dove

Archived