Acrylic Tank - Vortech pumps too hot?

Elizzy

Recently acquired a 55 gallon acrylic tank off of craigslist. Ok, so there's a lot I didn't know about acrylic prior to purchasing it that I do know now. I know that the 1/4" thickness isn't recommended for a tank height over 12"...but I've always been a gambler and the new house has cement floors, so if a leak does occur, (which I've dealt with before at 2am while in a leg cast) I know I can contain it quickly. Someone will always be home, so on with my question.

Would a VorTech Mp10w ES propeller pump create too much heat if affixed to one side of my 1/4" acrylic?

If you've had a bad experience with Vortech, could you please let me know what it was?

Thanks!!!

The vortecs do have an adjustment for wall thickness. I've never heard of anyone having problems with heat on an acrylic tank but I also don't know anyone who has it on 1/4". acrylic can be built thinner than is typically recommended but you will get noticable bowing, I would guess on your 55 if you measure the inside middle to middle it will be about 5/8" wider than at the sides when full of water.

Archived