SCA-301 Cleaning before use?

sifuentes31

So i just purchased a SCA-301 skimmer and i've read that you had to run it in a bath of 50/50 water and vinegar to clean it. Is this correct? I only ask because i've read other threads that they just plopped it in the sump as soon as they got it....Just wondering if i should do the same...

I have this skimmer. Just rinse it before throwing in your sump. Vinegar baths are for cleaning every few months.

Honestly I don't like this skimmer. Every couple of months I have to clean it to keep it operating at maximum capacity.

Not sure what all the rave is about this skimmer. Great price for sure...but that's about it in my opinion after using it for a year. I also purchased mine new. I prefer a nac 7 BM which also has a small footprint. I have two identical sumps one running a SCA 301 and the other nac 7. The sca does not compare in the slightest. The NAC7 is a little larger footprint but still compact and skims like a champ around the clock. In the last year I have not had to clean the pump once and the collection cup is large.

Anyways... I know you didn't want to hear all of that right now. But...in a year it may be useful info when you start looking for an alternative to the SCA.

Sent from my HTC VIVID using Tapatalk

I have this skimmer. Just rinse it before throwing in your sump. Vinegar baths are for cleaning every few months.

Honestly I don't like this skimmer. Every couple of months I have to clean it to keep it operating at maximum capacity.

Not sure what all the rave is about this skimmer. Great price for sure...but that's about it in my opinion after using it for a year. I also purchased mine new. I prefer a nac 7 BM which also has a small footprint. I have two identical sumps one running a SCA 301 and the other nac 7. The sca does not compare in the slightest.

Anyways... I know you didn't want to hear all of that right now. But...in a year it nay be useful info when you start looking for an alternative to the SCA.

Sent from my HTC VIVID using Tapatalk

The Bubble Magus NAC3, which is what I assume it was based on, was the same as far as maintenance goes. I think the compact design and pump combo make it a higher maintenance skimmer. I have the 302 and there's no comparison.

I purchased it for the price and it is Way better than what i was using. I was pursuaded to purchase it by some of our ARC members and i trusted what they had to say....so i bought it. No doubt the NAC 7BM is better but for my needs i think this will work fine. But like you said in a year if i don't like i'll sell it and purchase a better one....

I do believe it's based off the Bubble Magus design. Almost bought one then started comparing them and they are almost identical. So said nah and bought the cheaper one...If i can get a years worth out of it i'll be happy.....

If you do use a vinegar bath, then I don't think 50/50 is necessary. That's a lot of vinegar! I normally dilute it to 2 cups per five gallons.

Yeah i read somewhere that thats what they did. Something about the skimmer having oils on it from manufacturing or something like that. I've never heard of cleaning any of the equipment when its brand new but i thought i'd ask...

Archived