anemone, mushroom or something else?

JCAB

I just saw this thing at the past of a rock that a leather is attached to. Unfortunately, the pictures aren't great because of where it is located, and I didn't want to move the leather since it just started opening up today (it's been in the tank for about a week). It is a little larger than a nickel, circular in shape and has a center, but the light green lines you see are actually extending out. Sorry about the bad pictures, I'll try to move things around tomorrow if necessary.

post-3005-0-02887200-1379453680.jpgpost-3005-0-18206100-1379453681_thumb.jp

Did it have a skeleton? Because if it is a fungia polyp and it's firmly attached what you have for lack of a better term is a "polyp bud" that will keep generating new polyps. It takes a year or longer for mine to grow and drop off but a new one forms with in about a week where the previous one detached. Don't try to break it off prematurely, they are very firmly attached until they are ready to drop off and you will break the polyp and potentially damage the "bud". Search for threads both JeeperTy and I have on Fungia's reproducing.

If it doesn't have a skeleton it might be a mojano which you would want to get rid of immediately.

Archived