Benefit of night mode on wp25/40

Bpb

I asked this on RC and my question got skipped over. What is the benefit of using the photosensor? It was my understanding that most corals do their feeding at night. That is what I observe and my own tank, and that is when everything has the best polyp extension. Why would we want to cut the flow down at night if everything is feeding? Wouldn't you want to have a great flow during those hours? With how crummy I heard those photosensors work, combined with the fact that I have to put mine inside the dark stand, it won't even detect any changes and light anyway. Should I put the wp25 on a timer so it only runs with the lights, or can I just leave it on all the time?

I asked this on RC and my question got skipped over. What is the benefit of using the photosensor? It was my understanding that most corals do their feeding at night. That is what I observe and my own tank, and that is when everything has the best polyp extension. Why would we want to cut the flow down at night if everything is feeding? Wouldn't you want to have a great flow during those hours? With how crummy I heard those photosensors work, combined with the fact that I have to put mine inside the dark stand, it won't even detect any changes and light anyway. Should I put the wp25 on a timer so it only runs with the lights, or can I just leave it on all the time?

I could be wrong, but I think the less flow at night this is for the Fish.

I could be wrong, but I think the less flow at night this is for the Fish.

Totally agree. The ocean doesn't give a crap if it's night time. I did use night mode on my vortechs during the evening to reduce the noise, not an issue with these though. More like sanity mode when you have a bunch going at the same time.

Well. Mine hasn't come in yet. Just getting an idea of things. I was planning on running it in else mode most of the time and it'll take the place of an mj1200 and a koralia 750 in a 55 gallon tank. Should I turn it off at night or will the fish be able to handle it. Maybe this wp25 is more powerful than I'm expecting

I have 2 wp40s and 2 wp25s on my 180g and do not use night mode or reduce their flow at any time and my fish and corals are just fine... I do run them each on a slightly different strength and frequency so I get good random flow through the tank.

Awesome thanks y'all. I'm gonna put the wp25 at one end pointing the length of the tank at 100% on else mode, and a koralia 1050 opposite it. No timers then. Should be an improvement hopefully. My only concern is irritating my zoas and Lps on the sandbed

Yeah I don't think it's a bad thing to ramp down pumps at night... don't coral normally feed at night? Wouldn't slower current help out a bit?

I have 4 WP40s and 2 WP60s, all of which will go into might mode.

Also have two Sicce 4000 gph pumps that I'll turn off at night.

See I would think the opposite. I'd think if they're feeding you would want more turbulent flow to keep everything suspended in the water vs settling to the bottom. I always felt like the purpose of cutting flow when feeding was to allow you to more precisely target feed. If I just dropped a cube of mysis in my fish would eat it all before it made it to the Lps

Archived