Adding Rock to Existing System

Derek

I setup my tank in April. I would like to add more rock to the system. I have had not so great luck with adding rock in the past, i.e. it caused my tank to re-cycle and caused some losses.

Does anyone have any recommendations for adding more rock to my tank?

Last year I replaced about 35lbs of rock from my 55gal with dry reef rock and didn't see any sort of cycle.

Using dry/clean rock will be your safest bet to avoid any sort of cycle.

But if you have time, the above is a great idea. I would even maybe drop in a small rock from your current setup to help it seed/cycle.

Yeah unless it's a tiny amount I like to cure it first. In my year and a half old 55 gallon I've swapped/added rock in the amount of 20-30 pounds on two separate occasions. I've bleached and acid dipped it both times and then cycled it for 8 weeks following that before adding it to my tank an have had zero mini cycle issues, deaths, or algae increases.

Yeah, if it is a small amount then I would just add it in since your water capacity is greater than most and can take it. But if it's a ton of rock, then my vote is for the cycle in a separate bucket method. How's your livestock doing these days?

It really depends on the reasons behind adding new rock. If you just want a more full look and don't care about adding any diversity of life, then I would add dry rock. My experience with dry LR has been excellent. If you want to order a big box from an online store and want all of the hitch hikers then I would cure it in a seperate container with a light attached.

You shouldn't cause a cycle if you add small amounts of rock to your existing system, regardless of the die off. Adding 5 pounds of rock per 2 weeks or a month shouldn't affect anything in tanks above 55g.

The rule of thumb is to never add more than 10% at a time to eliminate the possibility of NTS or a re-cycle. I like to use a 48 qt Igloo a small peice of shrimp and you caneasily put up to 40lbs of rock and a little circulation pump w/ old tank water and whoala! In a few weeks you have cycled rock. Make sure you keep the temp around 80F, I also test for PO4 and if it is above 0.02 i start doing watrer changes, or add something to export it.

I just want to fill things up. I want to get dry rock to do it. I just don't know if I have to cure it first.

Ty: All the live stock is good. I just want to add some more rock to help with biological filtration and add hiding places. I may just get a few rocks at a time since they can be expensive.

Or drop a few pcs in your sump and let them do there thing in there. i would only add a small amount at a time then transfer the stuff from the sump to the tank and add more new to the sump. If you add to much at a time it could cause a cycle.

Best bet is a separate system to let it cycle in with old tank water.

I used BRS pukani on my pico and it did cause a cycle by itself. Not sure what was on it but there was something that needed to decompose. I would either add it very slowly to an existing system, or cure it in a big tub for a few months before adding to an existing tank.

Archived