Bleaching ORA birds nest

haze152

I have had the frag in the tank for about 2 month yesterday it starting bleaching when I got home today to was 80 % bleached out. The tank it came from had LEDs. I mounted the frag 3/4 way up no idea what caused it.

Tank standard 75 gallon 2 250 MH 2 super attinic t5

Water pram

Temp 78-79.5

Lights Mh 7 hours t5 10 hours

Nitrate < 5 Red Sea

Nitrite 0 API

Calcuim 460 Red Sea

Alk 9 Red Sea

Phosphates .02 Hanna

Flow 2 wp 25 running 100% in else mode.

Is it possible it's just now bleaching from light 2 months later.

Unusual but not out of the realm of possibility. I've also seen corals take weeks to bleach out from getting too hot or too cold. You might also have a problem with low phosphates. The Hanna checker has an accuracy of + - .01 so your phosphates could be .01 or .03. I've seen several tanks this last year that had issues with poor growth and/or poor colors with some species that had phosphates below .03

Yeah, I'd say something to do with delayed shock response... birdsnest are fickle anyways. I could move any of SPS to any other spot in my tank (even like the sensitive one's like the echinatas) but if I touch the birdnest and move it 4" to the left or right, it will STN half the colony. Ridiculous.

I've pretty much given up on them as I get random STN'ing, sometimes even after they've been growing like crazy for months. They also go really quick. Most acros can be fragged or moved if you notice they are starting to recede or bleach, and they often make a comeback. I've seen an entire birdsnest colony RTN in a day.

Here's a good article on how well they adapt: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/birdsnest-corals-do-not-adapt-well-to-different-conditions

I agree with the fickle statement. I've had them grow out to the size of a softball and bleach out seemingly over night. With nothing else ever affected. I've given up too. I've had this happen three times.

I got home today and the frag was completely gone. Bleached and all tissue was gone. All other birds nets and acros seem to be okay. The low phosphates is a trade off my acros have colored up nice since adding brs dual reactor. Downside is Even with reactor turned way down I have to feed heavy to get phosphates to .05.

Archived