Starfish feeding

Wade

I added a couple of small starfish (brittle and serpant) to my DT about a week ago. They quickly scurried under the rock work and I haven't seen them since. I've checked at night whne the lights go down to moonlight ans still nothing. Are they self-sufficient or should I be feeding them at night?

both stars stay fairly hidden and out of sight. Ours stays under the rock till he senses food hitting the substrate... As they get older they're a little more keen to staying out in the 'openish' areas.

They're supposed to be a clean up crew, I wouldn't feed them directly as they're good scavengers. That said, I also love to give mine a piece of silverside when I feed my nems. Seeing them deform their central disk to ingest it cracks me up every time

Don't worry about feeding them unless they get really large, body diameter 1 1/2 to 2+ inches. I move a tank once that had a black spiny species with legs well over a foot long the owners had never seen (whoever set up the tank used 2-3 lbs live rock per gallon).

Mine breed like crazy and you see little legs everywhere; in the powerheads, hanging out of crevices of rocks; when we redid our rock we took 5 or 6 to the LFS. the two bigs ones that are still in there are easy 10-12 inches across.

Archived