Bleaching Gracilaria Hayi

jestep

Saw another similar topic so figured I'd post this. My Gracilaria Hayi has been bleaching in my Pico tank. Anyone know what is the typical cause. Was growing well for about 6 months. Tips started to get lighter and then some of the ends have turned completely white. They have not melted or changed structure.

I've been on the fence on whether it is from low nutrients or too much lighting. I've been getting some cyano popping up so leaning towards lighting. Nothing stocked in this tank and undetectable NO3 and free PO4.

Before:

IMG_0225_1024.jpg

After:

IMAG1097%20(Custom).jpg

Ignore the dragon's breath in the lower left. It's always stayed that color in this tank. You can see that most of the tips are yellowing which has been typical of my hayi in my refugium that's closest to the light. None of it has turned white though.

What about dumping water from your main tank into it?

I didn't think of that. That might be perfect. I haven't tested NO3 on my main tank in a while but it has to be higher than the pico. Might be just about right without needing to actually have a permanent bioload in the pico.

Interesting looking clump of algae you've got there. Mine breaks apart very easily if I touch it.

That's one of the biggest reason I've really come to like it. It's got really good structure which is great for what I've wanted in scaping and keeping it out of filters. I got it from gulf coast eco systems around 2 years ago now.

Is yours hayi or dragons breath or another. My dragons breath is very fragile in comparison and lacks almost all physical structure.

That's one of the biggest reason I've really come to like it. It's got really good structure which is great for what I've wanted in scaping and keeping it out of filters. I got it from gulf coast eco systems around 2 years ago now.

Is yours hayi or dragons breath or another. My dragons breath is very fragile in comparison and lacks almost all physical

MIne is G. Hayi. I bought a bag of it a couple of weeks ago. I put half in my DT and half in the sump. The bunch in the sump remain the same, got darker red. The bunch in the DT started turning white on the main stem, while the leaves remained red. I moved the rock it was attached to and it broke into about 4 pieces and started migrating around the tank. I left them all alone and they look unchanged in all locations. The stems have gone back to normal after the break and all of the leaves are a nice red color.

I forgot what this one is. The glue didn't hold on this one and it broke apart. It's in the sump right now.

post-2552-0-96392700-1378410526.jpg

G. Hayi

post-2552-0-83952400-1378410527.jpg

Archived