Salvaging the guts out of a T5 fixture

esacjack

So I have a cheap t5 fixture that I'd like to repurpose for driving actinics on my MH tank. Is it possible to strip out the guts of this old odyssea unit and reuse the ballasts, clips, etc? I have a spare set of reflectors for them already that clip onto the bulb. Just curious if anyone has performed this flavor of surgery before..

Yup. What's the ballast manufacterer? I've seen Workhorse balasts in some fixtures that will drive a wide array of bulbs and in some cases will run a different number of bulbs than the original fixture was set up with. Even a typical ballast for a four pin bulb can usually be used to run a small range of different wattages and may run PCs as well as T5s

I am in the same place with horticulture fixtures. The pin holders are the weak link and I considered using damp proof connections own the two ends. Timfish tells me that these connections suck in moisture when lamp is turned off. Can anyone recommend appropriate damp proof connections. In the past, I used a three part holder with rubber seal on T12 lamps that were VHO.

Patrick

Pack rats of the world, unite!

I would like to nominate myself for top rat. grin.png

I stopped using water resistant end caps a long time ago after finding them corroded and melted inside. A standard socket has far less material to melt and it's much easier to inspect the contacts and they are cheaper and easier to replace

Archived