What up with corals?

rvickery2

Tank is 5 weeks old, cycled with live rock and seeded with mature live rock also.

25 - 3w white

30 - 3w blue

Calcium - 420

Ammonia - 0.25 or less

Phosphates - 0.25

Nitrates - 10

Filter rated at 200g at 4 1/2' rise

Koralia rated at 600g per hour

65g tank, 36w - 18d - 24t

I'm assuming you're using an API test kit for the ammonia, otherwise, you could still be in a cycle. That No3 and PO4 shouldn't be any problem for those coral.

Possibly too much light. Are the coral in direct flow?

alkalinity is also absent from your parameter. Temperature, salinity, alkalinity and ammonia are kind of the big 4 that can piss off your tank in a hurry. If I had to guess, I'd say in order of likelyhood, it's probably 1) temperature 2) salinity 3) alkalinity. Due to the relative newness of your tank, ammonia is also a possibility.

The coral in the middle picture looks like it may have bleached out to me. That' usually caused by temperature but can also be caused by too intense light than the coral was used too. I'm guessing all of these corals are Euphylia sp. (which I would consider very good beginner corals) including the one that looks like it's got a "brown jelly" infection, how far off the water is your fixture and do you have any optics on your LEDs?

When you tested ammonia was it right after a water change? Ammonia is not removed in RO so a 30% water change should give you about .2 -.3 ppm that will take a while to be consumed.

With the coral that has the "brown jelly" infection be very carefull removing it as it has the potential of spreading easily. Best to syphon off the "jelly" first then remove it. You can try dipping the coral which from my experience has about a 1 in 3 chance of stopping the infection. This is brought on by stress which brings up another question of how long the corals have been in your tank?

API test kit for ammonia. Alkilinity is "9 drops" on API kit (at work now without conversion chart), I don't track temperature and I'm not running a heater. Salinity is 1.25 to 1.26 on refractometer. LED's are 6" above tank, no optics that I know of. Originally this coral was on the bottom and I moved it up thinking it was not getting enough light in such a deep tank. It doesn't appear to be bleached white. I'll try to turn lights dimmer and less hours per day.

Ooooo, get that all up. 180 is looooooowww.

I agree with Timfish, that looks like brown jelly and needs to go ASAP. And finally, does sound like too much light. Sorry to be negative nancy over here...

I'm still thinking too much light or too direct flow. API ammonia tests routinely read .25 or .50 which is actually zero, so I wouldn't worry about that. Maybe just move them back down and see if they respond well. 9 drops on API alk should be 9 DKH which is totally in range.

man sorry to see your coral this way. im betting its the lighting too, since some of your coral went from my 8month old t5s to your leds. so IMHO it was a light acclimation issue. how are the soft coral acting?

I got home today from work and it definitely had streams of brown jelly coming from it. I immediately took it out and tried to scoop anything that I could see. I have turned down the intensity of both blue and white and reduced the hours per day. I have one more to save.

Thanks Chris, it was my favorite! I'll let the tank mature some more and try to replace it. How is the carpet?

Archived