QT question

Wade

So I've my QT up and running for a couple of months with some well seeded filter cartridges, but I've not had anything in it yet. The water I filled it with was 50% fresh sw and 50% from my DT. Should I have been putting a pinch of food in there every week just to keep it cycled or should it be ok?

You could probably get away with adding a couple of small fish without triggering an ammonia bump but I would be hesitant about adding a large fish or a large group of small fish. The bacteria colonies are going to adjust to the amount of available food and while they can adjust pretty quickly it is possible to add too much too fast.

I'll test it this afternoon and make sure it's in good shape. Mainly I'm curious if you're supposed to keep a fish in there all the time or drop some food in there once a week to keep it cycled.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the qt is testing out good now so i guess I'll add couple of chromis like Tim suggested. I'm guessing from here i just need to do bimonthly water changes using DT water, yes?

Archived