DIY Reactor from Gatorade bottle.

chippwalters

What happens when Gatorade changes bottle design ?

I assume that's a real question and not snarky rhetoric. The answer is obvious. I go to my CAD program, modify the design, and print out new parts!

1. Yes, it runs about 15 gallons in it.

2. I have the BRS Single reactor

3. 40 gallon display plus the sump.

4. I just run GAC

5. N/A

6. Understand how they work? I think so, but I've never really disected one. I do know they are better than a bag of media because the water is forced through them

To continue to be frank (and hopefully continued to be appreciated). The BRS reactor is thick and chunky. I could probably drop it down a flight of stairs and not worry about cracking it. It also runs about $35 plus shipping if applicable. For me personally, the extra $15 is worth it to me to get the thicker container.

From, what I can tell from yours, it has the advantage of being more compact so it may work better where space is more limited (which, may be your market). I probably should have thought more about it, I have not looked into reactors of a similar size where this may be required. BRS is also externally mounted. Yours also seems easier to clean/change media.

I also realize that my gatorade bottle deal is probably irrational. but, we are not always rational when we are buying stuff. i am giving you what i think would be my reaction if i just saw this in a store. i would be more apt to buy it from you as a forum guy, but it seems that you are thinking more broadly.

I assume that's a real question and not snarky rhetoric. The answer is obvious. I go to my CAD program, modify the design, and print out new parts!

i think it is real, too. the concern I would have is I have bought something that if I need to change the bottle I can get it at 7-11, get refreshed and fix it. but if gatorade changes the bottle, now I need to buy a whole new kit.

1. Yes, it runs about 15 gallons in it.

2. I have the BRS Single reactor

3. 40 gallon display plus the sump.

4. I just run GAC

5. N/A

6. Understand how they work? I think so, but I've never really disected one. I do know they are better than a bag of media because the water is forced through them

To continue to be frank (and hopefully continued to be appreciated). The BRS reactor is thick and chunky. I could probably drop it down a flight of stairs and not worry about cracking it. It also runs about $35 plus shipping if applicable. For me personally, the extra $15 is worth it to me to get the thicker container.

From, what I can tell from yours, it has the advantage of being more compact so it may work better where space is more limited (which, may be your market). I probably should have thought more about it, I have not looked into reactors of a similar size where this may be required. BRS is also externally mounted. Yours also seems easier to clean/change media.

I also realize that my gatorade bottle deal is probably irrational. but, we are not always rational when we are buying stuff. i am giving you what i think would be my reaction if i just saw this in a store. i would be more apt to buy it from you as a forum guy, but it seems that you are thinking more broadly.

Great feedback and still much appreciated. I love those BRS reactors-- IMO, they're the best. Problem is, they are large, are typically mounted outside the sump, and really aren't spec'd for nanos. Your points are well made. I'm looking for a small and low maintenance mode reactor-- which is what the Gatorade device is. I'm not sure I've got the full picture of what works and doesn't, and that's why I'm beta testing it with several folks.

IMO, it seems like it's worth about $10 in plastic-- but the problem is it can't even be made for that. And, I can't find anything else which fits the bill as completely on the market.

Great feedback and still much appreciated. I love those BRS reactors-- IMO, they're the best. Problem is, they are large, are typically mounted outside the sump, and really aren't spec'd for nanos. Your points are well made. I'm looking for a small and low maintenance mode reactor-- which is what the Gatorade device is. I'm not sure I've got the full picture of what works and doesn't, and that's why I'm beta testing it with several folks.

IMO, it seems like it's worth about $10 in plastic-- but the problem is it can't even be made for that. And, I can't find anything else which fits the bill as completely on the market.

you're welcome. i'm glad it may be helping. and, with the nano space, this may be well worth $20, or more, if it can fill a niche. even for me, with my other concerns smile.png.

and, like I said, the gatorade bottle may be completely irrational on my part. it may be worth considering building the bottle...errr printing...even if it jacks up the price a little. or, have a kit for the gatorade bottle at $20 and printed version that gets a better "feel" for $30 or even more. it seems that it should be able to be the same outer dimensions to work with the existing parts. the middle would just be a little smaller, but i don't think that would cause problems with how it works.

you're welcome. i'm glad it may be helping. and, with the nano space, this may be well worth $20, or more, if it can fill a niche. even for me, with my other concerns :).

and, like I said, the gatorade bottle may be completely irrational on my part. it may be worth considering building the bottle...errr printing...even if it jacks up the price a little. or, have a kit for the gatorade bottle at $20 and printed version that gets a better "feel" for $30 or even more. it seems that it should be able to be the same outer dimensions to work with the existing parts. the middle would just be a little smaller, but i don't think that would cause problems with how it works.

The only problem is the fact you can't 3D print clear plastic (PET) on these additive manufacturing 3D printers at this time.

oh, and you want it to be clear so you can see the media. all right. i was hoping i had a breakthrough that could result in a stock option smile.png. now i have to come up with a way to add a window.

I meant for a person who has purchase one.

I would assume when you purchase one the Gatorade bottle comes with it. If you need a back up then perhaps you spend a few bucks and buy a couple bottles of Gatorade and now you have two or three backups.

Though I suspect one bottle should last at least as long as my 2 little fishies did-- which was one year before the top cracked.

This may be a completely rediculous question on my part, but are Gatorade bottles BPA free and is that a concern for a sw aquarium? Aside from that, when determining a price you'll have to consider the cost of the bottle of Gatorade as well. I can see this as a built to order product with a display model at each of the area LFS in and around Austin. You can always give one to each store to use so people can see it in action. Like Just a Guy mentions above, this may really fill a nitch market for nano owners. It's not unreasonable to ship an extra bottle with each order and build the cost of two Gatorades into each order. Since your building them to order, you can always change the code to match the bottle if Gatorade ever changes their bottle design. You may find yourself selling these all over Texas and on eBay before oyu know it! Maybe your own eBay store for special order items. Not unreasonable to think it.

Well speaking of Ebay, why not purchase clear tubing from one of the ebay sellers? Sometimes they have remnants that are really cheap and incorporate it in the cost of the unit. For me, the design is and size is perfect because i don't have a lot of room in my tank. I have always wanted to use purigen but couldn't find anything small enough for it,...... well reasonably priced. Just food for thought......snack.gif

The other option would be to build it to go with something standard but a little tougher, like maybe a Nalgene bottle? Those are pretty much commodity items now and easily replaceable.

Seems to me if the consumer supplies the bottle it saves labor and inventory and it looks like it could then be shipped in an envelope also, a bottle would need to be boxed.

This may be a completely rediculous question on my part, but are Gatorade bottles BPA free and is that a concern for a sw aquarium? Aside from that, when determining a price you'll have to consider the cost of the bottle of Gatorade as well. I can see this as a built to order product with a display model at each of the area LFS in and around Austin. You can always give one to each store to use so people can see it in action. Like Just a Guy mentions above, this may really fill a nitch market for nano owners. It's not unreasonable to ship an extra bottle with each order and build the cost of two Gatorades into each order. Since your building them to order, you can always change the code to match the bottle if Gatorade ever changes their bottle design. You may find yourself selling these all over Texas and on eBay before oyu know it! Maybe your own eBay store for special order items. Not unreasonable to think it.

Don't know about BPA free, but I've been using it in my smallish sump (20 gallon but 10 gallon of sw) and DT (8 gal) since last weekend and have seen no issues yet. In fact the water is clearer than ever and I have zero algae right now.

I tend to agree it should be a complete unit sale as the bottom must be routed out and a hole drilled in the cap, not something easy for everyone, just DIYers. Not sure how much it would fetch complete with manual and tips for use. Any ideas?

Well speaking of Ebay, why not purchase clear tubing from one of the ebay sellers? Sometimes they have remnants that are really cheap and incorporate it in the cost of the unit. For me, the design is and size is perfect because i don't have a lot of room in my tank. I have always wanted to use purigen but couldn't find anything small enough for it,...... well reasonably priced. Just food for thought......snack.gif

I assume you mean clear acrylic tubing? Yes, that's an idea, but I have to say the Gatorade bottle has such a great design for this. The bottom 'snaps' on, and the bracket clips on perfectly as well. With tubing, there's much more assembly required and more 3D prints (see my previous 3D thread on what that looks like).

The other option would be to build it to go with something standard but a little tougher, like maybe a Nalgene bottle? Those are pretty much commodity items now and easily replaceable.

Cool bottle, but doesn't have the right 'undercuts' to be able to snap a bottom and clip on. That's the beauty of the Gatorade bottle!

Seems to me if the consumer supplies the bottle it saves labor and inventory and it looks like it could then be shipped in an envelope also, a bottle would need to be boxed.

As I mentioned above, not everyone wants a DIY kit, and adding the bottle is only a little more...

If you really want to capture the nano market - make sure it'll fit into the back chamber of the biocubes/nanocubes. It's been awhile since I had a biocube but it seems to me like the back chamber wouldn't have been wide enough for a Gatorade bottle.

does printing threads on the top significantly increase costs, or affect the function? seems like you could just have the top thread onto the bottle and throw away the cap.

The original Gatorade (and other container) caps are specially designed to be waterproof and airproof. They even have a built in sealing ring. It would take a lot of work to try and design as good a tight fitting cap as what they already have. Not saying it's not possible, but it's just much easier to engineer the thread and nut together as I've done on this design. My guess it would take at least half a dozen trys * 2hrs each print cylcle...

If you really want to capture the nano market - make sure it'll fit into the back chamber of the biocubes/nanocubes. It's been awhile since I had a biocube but it seems to me like the back chamber wouldn't have been wide enough for a Gatorade bottle.

Actually, there are a number of decent all-in-one reactors for the biocube maket. They all have extremely high outlets and don't work in small sized sumps. I've even purchased one and tried and had to return it because the size just doesn't fit a standard sump.

does printing threads on the top significantly increase costs, or affect the function? seems like you could just have the top thread onto the bottle and throw away the cap.

The original Gatorade (and other container) caps are specially designed to be waterproof and airproof. They even have a built in sealing ring. It would take a lot of work to try and design as good a tight fitting cap as what they already have. Not saying it's not possible, but it's just much easier to engineer the thread and nut together as I've done on this design. My guess it would take at least half a dozen trys * 2hrs each print cylcle...

good point.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the new design for the "outlet" piece. I showed a friend who had looked at a DIY 3D printer kit your reactor his comment was "Well, this is the first thing I've seen was actually useful and not some gimmick or toy"! grin.png

Archived