Snail ID Please

Planeden

Well, I guess it was just a matter of time before I inundated everyone with hitchhiker questions/IDs. So, sorry, and thanks.

post-3177-0-19035000-1372790204_thumb.jp post-3177-0-47100800-1372790229_thumb.jp

It looks remarkably like the Whelk pictured on Chucks Addition, but also looks like the "unknown cerith". From chuck's link to reefkeeping.com it seems i need to dissect it to find out what it is. which is not especially helpful.

Perhaps I should have separated him out into something while trying to ID it. because he is gone now.

thanks guys. well, unlike yesterday, at least today i'm pretty sure it is a snail :).

Did he come out when you fed? I forget the name, but it looks like the ones I ordered a while back that live in the sand and come out when they sniff food in the water.

Kinda looks like a colinista too, if you can get it to start moving on glass you can take a look at its foot, that will help with the ID...colinistas have an orange-ish long skinny foot.

Nassarius snail it looks like. If it is they're the best. Not algae eaters but they'll eat anything and everything that causes algae. They usually stay buried out of sight till you introduce food and then they come out in full force. Fast moving.

Did he come out when you fed? I forget the name, but it looks like the ones I ordered a while back that live in the sand and come out when they sniff food in the water.

Kinda looks like a colinista too, if you can get it to start moving on glass you can take a look at its foot, that will help with the ID...colinistas have an orange-ish long skinny foot.

have not fed since yesterday and not due to feed for another day or too. but i will look for him when i do.

this guy is pointy on both ends. the pictures of collinistas i'm seeing are relatively round. do these come in a pointy form?

edit: no fish in the tank, so i'm just feeding my corals every few days.

Nassarius snail it looks like. If it is they're the best. Not algae eaters but they'll eat anything and everything that causes algae. They usually stay buried out of sight till you introduce food and then they come out in full force. Fast moving.

good call. that looks possible. chuck's picture looks nothing like that, but living reef's certainly does. this is going to be hard. clearly i need more hitchhiker sources since varieties/colors are so varied.

i think i have nassarius's all over my main tank. sitting there with their little syphons sticking out of the sand. at first i thought they were worms until i saw one roll out. i was amazed.

Thanks everyone.

Patrick, I don't know who dr. Ron is. But I did enjoy watching one of larger (1.5") bristle worms rooting around in the sand. He was right up against the glass. I have at least two others that are even longer.

Thanks everyone.

Patrick, I don't know who dr. Ron is. But I did enjoy watching one of larger (1.5") bristle worms rooting around in the sand. He was right up against the glass. I have at least two others that are even longer.

Ron Schmich has a doctorate in marine zoology.

I have a magnifying glass with a light. Whenever my 6 year old grandson comes over, we get on our bellies and check out the refugium.

Archived