ID Please

Neon Reefer

Been letting this little guy grow wondering what he is. Kind of looks and acts like a feather. Very fast closer like a feather and has the brownish red markings so I know its not Aphasia and I do no think it is a Mojano (not sure) Maybe some kind of Rock Anemone? This the best picture of the little guy (nickel size) I could get. What do you guys think.

post-3185-0-86742000-1372769241_thumb.jp

Looks like aiptasia. Best to take care of it but don't freak. They're hard to completely eradicate but not that tough to manage. I've dealt with them for a year now. Used to have like 50. Now I always seem to be chasing one or two here and there

Could also be a curly cue nem. My peppermint shrimp ate the few aptasia that came in a rock but has never messed with the curly cues. Ive had 3 for over a year they havent multiplied they just got bigger.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

It looks to me like it could be anything mentioned above. There are small species of feather duster that can be found in tanks and I consider them all beneficial. If it's a feather duster it will have a tube at the base of the feathers that will not contract when touched. The tube can be either soft or hard depending on the material used to make it. If the feathers are on the end of a stalk that itself contracts it's an anemonie of some kind.

TimFish says "If the feathers are on the end of a stalk that itself contracts it's an anemonie of some kind."

Sounds like this little guy is history! I've borrowed the Majano Wamd from Dave and took care of a couple of clear Aptasia, but this guy looked different. More open and rounded rather than the upward direction of the fingers and had more coloration. But it does not have a tube so I beleive it is some type of Nem. I guess their is really no good kind. Right? But this guy has lightning fast retraction. Gonna be real hard to zap him. The other two just kind of sat their and let it happen.

I've only seen two in my tank on rock that I got from a member, so I pulled the rock, dowsed their holes with lemon juice and sealed the holes off with superglue just to make sure.

I have two nems in my tanks that I was told were pests. One looked like a majano when it was little but now is a real cool green nem about the size of a half dollar. It has only split once but that is when my heater exploded. The other I have looked like an aiptasia and now is blue and red really cool. An has never split. I would not rush to kill it but I appreciate all life.

Archived