ID Please - Pink Furry Tenticle Thing

Planeden

Hey Guys,

Peering at my new paly/zoa coral rock and I found these pink things circled in red. For an Idea of scale a pencil eraser would cover each one (i think that is 2mm-5mm sand in the foreground, but it is no bigger than that). Best I can figure is maybe a type of Hydroid or Nynatheae Anemone. Neither seem to be a problem unless they spread like wildfire.

Blue Circle - This i can't even see with my magnifying glass. I only noticed it in the picture.

post-3177-0-08337300-1372718772_thumb.jp

Thanks everyone.

just for fun, you can see i'm getting help looking for stuff.

post-3177-0-32546400-1372718786_thumb.jp

hmmm, i can see that. i didn't even think about free corals. i'll watch them grow and see what it looks like when they come in.

i cannot get a better picture of the stuff on the right. it is just too small. so we'll see what that looks like when it grows, too.

thanks for the help. you guys are awesome.

I would either get them off that rock via fragging it up, or smother out the area. If this is on a zoa colony/frag, the anthelia will out-grow the zoanthids, eventually starving it of light. This is the current situation in our biocube. I even went as far as putting a cyphaestrea on the rock it was on, just to keep it under control.

Well...one looks like a common brown and white tabby anemone and the other looks like a zoa eating calico.

actually, it's a tortoise shell. it's a calico without the white, but much more invasive (ie - less adoptable).

I would either get them off that rock via fragging it up, or smother out the area. If this is on a zoa colony/frag, the anthelia will out-grow the zoanthids, eventually starving it of light. This is the current situation in our biocube. I even went as far as putting a cyphaestrea on the rock it was on, just to keep it under control.

but it's so pretty. at this size the only option would be to let it grow a little to frag any or just bury it in the sand.

Looks like anthelia, if the rocks small enough you can lift it up and burn it off or like someone said bury it in the sand. That's only if you don't want it though! It's a very hardy coral and it's cool but once it spreads its not easy to get rid of.

with the pinnated tenticles you can rule out hydras and aptasia. Anthelia seems most likely to me also but could be any clove or xenia as well. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, if you like it and can deal with it being invasive and the added work of keeping it under control it's a good way to export nutrients.

I think I at the very least want it off that rock. The rock is pretty small and already has zoas and plays on it. But I will consider fragging it to a different place.

Thanks everybody for the ID and advice.

I think I at the very least want it off that rock. The rock is pretty small and already has zoas and plays on it. But I will consider fragging it to a different place.

If I knew that you were picking up strays, I would have given you the 100 I scrubbed off my last rock. Xenia is easy to control compared to Anthenia. Patrick

If I knew that you were picking up strays, I would have given you the 100 I scrubbed off my last rock. Xenia is easy to control compared to Anthenia. Patrick

What can I say, I'm a sucker for homeless pests...err pets. Harder than Xenia does not bode well.

Archived