Noisy Mag pump

Wade

My Mag pump is getting noisy. Kind of a loud rattling sound. It's a few years old, but I had a newer one in place that I replaced with my old one because it got really noisy. Is this an impeller problem? I took the newer one apart to see if there was anything in the impeller and didn't see anything. The plastic guard piece was broken, but there were no little pieces of plastic in there. I've read mixed reviews about the Mag drives where some swear by them and some say they are too noisy. I'll not go with Mag again since this is two that became noisy on me, but if I can repair this one instead of buying another pump I'm certainly game.

I would change the impeller. I have one that is at least 15 years old. I just replace the impeller every few years. I think the impellers are like 11 bucks.

Mags do have a reputation as noisy. Agreed with bige though, replace the impeller, it's pretty much the only moving part capable of breaking down, and is an inexpensive experiment. Worst case you have an extra impeller on hand.

Well I think I've determined that I've undersized my pump. I replaced a noisy Model 7 with another Model 7. I looked at the head pressure graph and I think I've got about 1/2 the pump I need. I pump the water from the sump through the floor about 18" down, through the UV and a chiller, and then back up to the tank which is about a 5 foot rise. I think there are 4 elbows in all (2 at the chiller and 2 at the UV). I'm thinking when all is said and dome I'll be lucky if I'm getting 300 gph. I'm probably overworking the heck out of that pump and wearing it out. I think I'd be better served with a 950 or 1200 gph pump. What do you think? Oh, my tank is 72 gallons.

I have a mag 7 on my bio cube 29. And I'm gonna go to a 9 soon. So it could be you need a bigger pump. But I don't think over working it would make it more noisy. Mine vibrates over and touches the sides of the sump sometimes it really gets loud.

Well I think I've determined that I've undersized my pump.  I replaced a noisy Model 7 with another Model 7.  I looked at the head pressure graph and I think I've got about 1/2 the pump I need.  I pump the water from the sump through the floor about 18" down, through the UV and a chiller, and then back up to the tank which is about a 5 foot rise.  I think there are 4 elbows in all (2 at the chiller and 2 at the UV).  I'm thinking when all is said and dome I'll be lucky if I'm getting 300 gph.  I'm probably overworking the heck out of that pump and wearing it out.  I think I'd be better served with a 950 or 1200 gph pump.  What do you think?  Oh, my tank is 72 gallons.

Take a gallon jug and catch the water. You wont have to guess at your gph ;)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Archived