Maggie muffler whistling

KimP

I just got a maggie muffler in the mail, the mini for my 1"pipe. It completely silences the draining noise but now there's a loud whistle. I'm not sure which is better lol :P Any ideas how to fix it? Maybe drill another hole on top?

I have maggie mufflers on my tank and get whistling from them sometimes as well. you can control the flow in your sump (throttle the overflow pipe at the end where it dumps into your sump) and that should control the whistling.

I've been afraid to drill or expand the opening in the top of mine, but if you do that and it works please let us know!

Yes mine did whistle some when i got it and had a slight flushing effect. I got a piece of 1/4" OD air tubing and overdrilled the air hole to accomodate. Pushed it in about 6 " and re installed the muffler. Then I gently pulled it out till i found the sweet spot and cut the rest off about an inch over the top. But I'd say to be careful and not drill it too large for a bigger piece of tubing as it may change the level of the water against the outside of the bell.

Yes mine did whistle some when i got it and had a slight flushing effect.  I got a piece of 1/4" OD air tubing and overdrilled the air hole to accomodate.  Pushed it in about 6 " and re installed the muffler.  Then I gently pulled it out till i found the sweet spot and cut the rest off about an inch over the top.  But I'd say to be careful and not drill it too large for a bigger piece of tubing as it may change the level of the water against the outside of the bell.   

Thank you! Mine is doing the same, a whistle with a flushing sound every so often. The whistle is constant and loud, like a tea kettle. I'll try the tube idea.

Yes and I saw a pic of the new style Maggie Muffler coming out and you can see where it has one hole drilled and another two dimples where you could drill it out for more air. I actually wrote to the makers and suggested they include a tube and an air breather adjustable plug like the nano skimmers have where you could adjust the air flow into the tube so one doesn't have to dail back on their return pump or valve off the drain to raise the level against the bell.

I have a Eheim 1260 w/ only 500 Gph @ 4' rise so dailing back is not really an option for me, and i still had a whistle and a flushing effect prior to tubing the air intake.

I put in the tube but had to leave it, so it has a pretty long piece down in the pipe. It's much much quieter even without adjusting the length! Later today when I have time to play with it I'll see if it gets any quieter. Thanks for the help, this makes such a huge difference in the noise level! The maggie muffler I got is just 2 pieces, the main part is all one piece, not 3 like the website diagram, and then an insert so it sits on the 1"pipe.

Yes I like the simple design of the MM, and w/ this simple mod it is very effective. Glad this helped..

PS:

Last night I found my missing Neon Goby in the sump. Seems like he took the E ticket ride into the overflow box down the Maggie and spit out in the sump, then over and under the baffles to the pump box. Wow what a ride! He litterly jumped into the net for me so i could replace him to the display. LOL He does have quite a personallity for such a little guy. He is fearless.

• 2 months later...

I have an update for this. A while back I ended up tilting the muffler just a bit to the side, on accident. It's completely silent like that! I have to either put my ear right up near the overflow or look at the lockline to see if the return pump is on. I'm sure just time helped too with a biofilm. I notice a big difference if the muffler gets bumped back flat onto the pipe. My net covers for the tank hold it tilted in place.

Archived