Wizard's Rimless 120g build

wizardx322

That's a sweet setup, let me know how the Tunze control work with using the APEX. Wondering maybe APEX does a better job than a Tunze controller. Do you know if I can add a

Pumps Control Module: VDM - Neptune Systems my system and use them to control the tunze pumps?

Also The JNS Alpha 2 Biopellet Reactor was the one I got and it worked alot better than the two little fishies 550 reactor. http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/jns-alpha-2-biopellet-reactor

Are you using this one too?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the apex controlling my Tunze's and yes I believe we have the same bio pellet reactor

My overflow makes some noise I had to turn down my return pump. Return pump is a little noise but its new so going to let it run for week or so to see if it gets quieter

FIXED THE OVERFLOW!!!

Spent half of today redoing my overflow pipes, I removed the old ones and replaced them with DIY Durso (Thanks Jeremy for the idea to cut them so I can fit it in my tank) Previously the Durso would not fit after talking to Jeremy I tried what he said and cut up the PVC to make the parts closer together and it worked. Now my tank is a lot more quieter unless I turn my Reeflo up all the way then its a waterfall. Now to figure out how to get my Reeflo more quiet.

I added my JNS Bio Pellet reactor last night. and put my skimmer, heater, and Eshopp Probe Holder in the sump.

Here some more pics

post-1543-0-61065700-1377390712_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-44113300-1377391149_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-01410500-1377391226_thumb.jp

Nice, what do you think about using something like a silicone based hot pad http://www.amazon.com/HIC-Brands-Cook-Essentials-Honeycomb/dp/B007UGOUYY/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1377437624&sr=1-3&keywords=silicone+hot+pads to dampen the noise inside the sump such as for your skimmer, biopellet reactor pump, or even return pump?

My skimmer is silent it's just the return pump and bio pellet reactor I'm going to redo my return plumbing and see if that helps with sound for return and I was thinking of putting foam on the bottom of my stand and a piece in the sump to make it more quiet

Spent past couple of days redoing the plumbing. Tank is so much more quiet. I switch out the impeller of my. Reeflo to the snapper from the dart impeller.

Got a midis Benny from my brother today and also moved some coral into the new tank.

Started up the skimmer, reactors, and chiller today all that

I have left to do it hook up the UV Sterilizer.

I'm already getting the brown algae. Will post pics soon

• 3 weeks later...

Time for update:

Well my tank is doing great already got pods everywhere. All parameters are good. My biopellet pump is the loudest pump I got and I need to figure something out was thinking of plumbing it into my reeflow and increase my ghp from 2600 to 3600ghp that way I will be prepared for a calcium reactor too.

over the past couple of weeks I added

powder blue tang, hippo tang, red headed wrasse, and sunburst anthias and a lot of SPS, some zoa's/paly's

got my AquaSD killer pack today and the corals look awesome hope they keep the same color

here some pics (wish I had a DSLR)

post-1543-0-44591200-1379627875_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-58518900-1379627889_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-10925800-1379627903_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-17340600-1379627917_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-77435300-1379627930_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-21531700-1379627944_thumb.jp

what did u do with my milles I sold ya?

I just moved them up they are doing great lost alittle color but the polyps are out like crazy .there 2 on the left and one in the mid front I will try to get a pic wish I had a DSLR for the zoom

• 2 weeks later...

Loving your tank, it is coming along very nicely!!! Can't wait to see this bad boy when those frags are grown out!!!! The planet tanks are absolutley awesome, they are really solid. Is your stand made by coastal?

Loving your tank, it is coming along very nicely!!! Can't wait to see this bad boy when those frags are grown out!!!! The planet tanks are absolutley awesome, they are really solid. Is your stand made by coastal?

Thanks, the frags are growing already. AI Vega's are great LED light corals are starting to get color up to. My stand was made by Planet also its called elegant stand. dont see wants so elegant about it lol but its really nice and i've grown to like it more.

Cool I did not know that planet made stands... Is yours metal frame or all wood? I read somewhere that the dsa tanks were losing quality over the past few years since the master builders from oceanic left dsa to start planet aquariums.

I got bored and decided to build me a mixing station

I have 2 unions just in case I want to remove the pump to do something and another ball valve so when ever I decide to do a water change I just hook up the hose and run the water straight to the tank. I am using a mag 9 for the mixing. Build something inside the barrel to move water everywhere and not let anything settle at the bottom. Still need to clean the inside but it's pretty much ready to use.

post-1543-0-15005500-1381444381_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-85545100-1381444415_thumb.jp

I got bored and decided to build me a mixing station

I have 2 unions just in case I want to remove the pump to do something and another ball valve so when ever I decide to do a water change I just hook up the hose and run the water straight to the tank. I am using a mag 9 for the mixing. Build something inside the barrel to move water everywhere and not let anything settle at the bottom. Still need to clean the inside but it's pretty much ready to use.

Looks good, that will make water changes really easy

Well my tank has a lot of frags and I wanted a frag rack that blends in with the tank and not just have egg crates everywhere.

I contacted aqua mag and they are no longer doing custom work. So after much consideration I decided to make my own frag rack rock.

After researching on how to make man made live rock I looked into magnets. Oh man never knew how expensive they can be but I took the plunge and bought some online.

The materials to make the live rock isn't that much but it's way more then you will ever need.

I used the 3-2-1 method ( white Portland cement, crushed oyster shells, and course salt)

Mixed everything together and put the magnets in place so I can place the rack anywhere. While It was wet I created the holes for the frags. I made it so I can have any frag on my rack ( square, circle, or plugs) after that I waited 24 hrs for it to dry.

Took out the frag racks washed them and tested it out and well the rock was too heavy for the magnet so I did a lot of trimming and that fixed that issue. The other thing about making your own live rock is that you can't just throw it in the tank because your ph will spike. So I now have them in a buck of water that I change out daily until the ph is back to normal which can take from 30 to 90 days :(.

On the plus side I learned a lot about magnets lol

Here a pic of what they look like

post-1543-0-71005500-1382071568_thumb.jp

Archived