How to add new anemone

Bpb

i would love to get one of those, but how do you deal with something that's going to wander around each day and randomly sting other coral, especially if you've got frags glued in place?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would love to get one of those, but how do you deal with something that's going to wander around each day and randomly sting other coral, especially if you've got frags glued in place?

very carefully...

Sarcastic as it may sound he's right. You just have to keep an eye on things and be prepared to move them. I've read they can do several "laps" around the tank before they settle. Also I don't think bubble tip stings are as bad as some others. So far my zoas and mushrooms don't seem to really mind or react. I moved my finger leather colony when it got too close though. If it decides to start roaming through the sps I will just have to move them. Sometimes it just may not end as pretty as you like. If you have a nice sps colony that is encrusted somewhere the anemone wants to stay, it's gonna have to move or die. Luckily my anemone is prettier than anything else in the tank right now so wherever it lands will be an improvement lol

So if I'm going to get one, I should do it before I start adding a bunch of SPS and let it settle into a section of the tank it likes. Fair enough. How often do you have to feed them? I've read that they don't need daily feeding like some other anemones do. I've got some vacation planned and I don't want to my tank sitter to have to deal with hand feeding anything if I can avoid it.

Being that I started this thread, I'm not an expert experience wise. However, from what research I did, a good goal to shoot for is if your tank is sps ready, it's rbta ready. If not. Then make it so lol. The owner I got mine from suggested feeding small amounts once a week. Really making sure my nitrates stay very low. He stressed they don't need frequent feedings. Once a week at most. Some others may disagree. I've stuck with once a week. (Two feedings now). Definitely get the anemone first if the tank is ready. It will just alleviate you having to monitor constantly and move your frags and colonies around while it explores. I've already had to move multiple things and break out my long tongs to pick up the anemone when it decides to explore the sandbed. Luckily it doesn't seem to want to go any higher than about halfway up and seems to prefer one side of the tank with lower flow. It makes laps around one big rock though about daily

And if you can help it, anemone before clown. My clown has been in the tank for years and his enthusiasm with the new anemone may be why it is roaming so much

Thanks Bpb. I'm sorry if I hijacked your thread. I've been wanting one for a while and this thread has addressed many of my questions and concerns. Is an anemone something that needs to be quarantined? Seems like that would be difficult to do in a QT with just a frag rack in it. Also, why do you not want it exploring the sand bed? Is that a bad thing?

No problem. I am one of the few people that doesn't mind hijacking. I consider my threads as discussion posts. When other people have questions it contributes to the discussion.

I didn't quarantine mine. I've not heard of many people that do unless you're manually propagating them and it just allows them to heal in a calmer environment.

I didn't want it exploring the sand for two reasons.

One, I didn't want to have to pull all my frags off the sand while it explored (favias, acans, zoas, ect)

Two, it can't get a real good suction base on the sand like it can on rock, so I didn't want it catching a current and getting carried away

On the plus side it hasn't moved an inch today. Same place it was when I went to bed

Nice. Well, if my LFS has a nice looking one available I'll probably get it come Friday. I only have a few SPS frags that i just got a couple of weeks ago and they've not been permanently placed yet. I also got a hammer, but it's at the top of my rock so it should be safe. I can move my few zoas frags off the rock to the sand bed until the rbta decides where it wants to be. The only other thing I have is a toadstool which appears to be real happy where it is. I'll have to watch that closely.

post-1837-0-93364700-1372192307_thumb.jp

I've read that some people do, but I didn't. Most of the anemone dips I've read are for healing purposes not necessarily for pest eradication. Like if the foot gets torn, takes a trip through the powerhead, manually propagated, ect. I don't know much in the way of how they're done or what is used.

What do you all use to feed your anenome? I see people mention aquarium tongs, but all I can find is the tongs with the gripper claws for moving stuff around yourt tank. There's long stainless tweezers or long probes as well. I suppose all that will work, but what works best?

Alot of people feed silversides. But I've read too many accounts of them being foul. Chopped krill seems to be popular. I just bought a pound of raw peeled unseasoned shrimp from the seafood counter at heb. I rinsed it in ROdi water real well and froze it. I take a sharp knife and shave off thin slivers. 2 or 3 per anemone about the size of a pinky nail. I'll mix in a pinch of new life spectrum pellets and feed them directly with a turkey baster.

Well, it finally settled down after a swim around the left side of my tank and decided the sand next to my rock would be a good place to bed for the night. It was no where to be seen this morning so after a quick search I located it underneath the back side of my rock. I suppose it will come out when it wants some light or a bite to eat. I suppose this is the "playing hard to get" phase of our relationship.

Lol man that's dejavu. Mine did/is doing the exact same thing. If I had to guess I'd say they're hiding in the dark as protection since they're in a new environment. Remind me do you have clownfish yet?

I'm having similar issues with a GBTA I added last week. He opened up at
first but is now hiding in the rock. The clowns are interested but not
overly. I do have some emerald crabs that might be upsetting him. Have you managed to entice yours out into the open?

I'm in the process of getting the crabs out but they're being difficult.

No he's still camped out under the back of the rocks. I'm thinking he'll come out eventually, but I may try to shade that area of the tank to try and force him to move.

Well after several trips around the tank over the past week, it's back where it started. I suppose it will settle in a spot sooner or later.

post-1837-0-57873700-1373833030_thumb.jp

I just discovered that one of my new coworkers is a long time sw aquarium guy. He said that it be having a hard time acclimating to my light if the tank he came from had weak lighting. I've got the Photon up to 75% now so I wonder if this may be the issue. I thought that nems preferred moderate to strong lighting. It's hiding under the rock in the back of the tank again. I imagine it will eventually get used to the light and maybe move some place where I can actually see it, not that it cares:)

Archived