My sons fresh water tank.

bige

This tank gets neglected so bad. But I bought some glow fish danios for it and threw on an old 2 bulb t-5 10000k and actinic. It had a cf light in a Home Depot clip lamp. It looks pretty good to me. The family is really digging it. post-1406-137152396536_thumb.jpg

post-1406-137152397817_thumb.jpg

post-1406-137152399481_thumb.jpg

It's a 10 gallon. 90% wc when I remember.

first and formost will always love reef tanks, but i will always respect and love the beauty of a planted FW tank

Thanks man I agree. And cheap to get great results.

Tank looks great. 90% wc? Sheesh. I just top off my FW tanks.

FYI: fish gallery has the largest selection of FW plants I've ever seen.

They do have a ton of fw plants. I got my cherry barb and cherry shrimp from them.

You shouldn't need CO2 with any of those. Like anubias they are likely to end up covered in algae if you try to run a fert system without something that will use up nutrients faster. My java ferns grow very slowly and I dose ferts and run CO2.

what kind of equipment are you running? I have always wanted to do a fresh water planted tank but have not wanted to drop the $ on a CO2 system.

I run an Aqueon hob and a light. A cf bulb from Home Depot ($5 kind)works great for plants. And no co2. The tank was $10 at petco and I had a coupon to petco for 50% off any purchase so the filter was $11 I think.

So light with fixture $10

Hob $11

Tank$10

Sand $6 quickrete sand from Home Depot.

Then the live stock. So $37 plus live stock. Not bad.

I do like 90% water changes only because I'm way over stocked and have two kids that feed the tank every time they walk by.

My plants are java ferns and jungle Val.

I do like 90% water changes only because I'm way over stocked and have two kids that feed the tank every time they walk by.

ha! kids, sheesh.

for the record I don't run CO2 either and I have a lot of plants, including a (mostly) full grass bed.

Also, ottos are good algae eaters for a FW planted tank. They will clean algae off the plants without damaging them with their tiny mouths and less than excessive girth. for the 10 minutes a day they are not eating, they seem to enjoy just chilling in the plants and taking a little nap.

I love otos. They are very very sensitive to water temp changes. Make sure your new water is same temp. They die instantly. Did that twice. Now I make sure my water is exact same temp.

what kind of equipment are you running? I have always wanted to do a fresh water planted tank but have not wanted to drop the $ on a CO2 system.

I run an Aqueon hob and a light. A cf bulb from Home Depot ($5 kind)works great for plants. And no co2. The tank was $10 at petco and I had a coupon to petco for 50% off any purchase so the filter was $11 I think.

So light with fixture $10

Hob $11

Tank$10

Sand $6 quickrete sand from Home Depot.

Then the live stock. So $37 plus live stock. Not bad.

My plants are java ferns and jungle Val.

So I checked HD site for sand and they have a few options: play sand, all purpose, and sand/topping mix... what size tank are you running? Im looking at doing a 75g and keeping discus'

Archived