Meet the red macro

subsea

In the past, I made several mistakes with propagating Red Grapes and Dragons Breath. The GOM live rock favors high nutrient Eco-systems. With respect to red macro algae, I pushed intense lighting and bleached too much. After reviewing post by George on light spectrum at 30' depth in GOM, I see where the blue spectrum is a major bandwidth at 30'.

Recently, during process to move live rock from south porch tanks to greenhouse grow out, I found emerging starts of both red grapes and dragons breath.

I will let nature take its course and I will document with little intervention.

Patrick

post-766-0-45976100-1371422934_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-10265200-1371422967_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-31382500-1371423000_thumb.jpg

red grapes

http://marineplantbook.com/marinebookbotryo.htm

dragons breath

http://marineplantbook.com/marinebookhalyfloresia.htm

first cousin to dragonsbreath

http://marineplantbook.com/marinebookhalyfloresia.htm

http://marineplantbook.com/marinebooklaurencia.htm

Gracilaria Hayi is my choice for signature Red Macro Algae. It displays proudly next to Red Grapes and Dragons Breath. It is heavy with calcium and is not palpable to Emerald Crabs, Tangs, Drawf Angels and Rabbit Fish.

http://live-plants.com/redbush.htm

I can confirm that the gracilaria hayi I got from Patrick it not palatable to my rabbitfish or any other inhabitants.

I glued three different pieces to golf ball sized rocks and placed them at various light levels

I can confirm that the gracilaria hayi I got from Patrick it not palatable to my rabbitfish or any other inhabitants.

I glued three different pieces to golf ball sized rocks and placed them at various light levels

have you noticed any difference with the light levels? after a week or so, they all seem to be equally happy in my tank.

So of the three pieces of gracilaria I put in, the dark maroon one has stayed maroon, it was in the lowest light of the three.

The two others, one in high (350-400 par) and one in medium (200-250 par) have moved from an orange color to a fiery red in only 4 days. Pic below!

post-2217-137176172626_thumb.jpg

So of the three pieces of gracilaria I put in, the dark maroon one has stayed maroon, it was in the lowest light of the three.

The two others, one in high (350-400 par) and one in medium (200-250 par) have moved from an orange color to a fiery red in only 4 days. Pic below!

that is a great color. mine are all about the same color regardless of their placement. i have no idea what my PARs are anywhere in the tank, though.

patrick, would be interested in some of this if you have any for sale

Yes, I have Gracilaria Hayi growing in several different tanks. It is growing as tumble culture in greenhouse tanks at 700 PAR. At that intensity, it is yellow orange. I have some under Reefkeeper LED with heavy blue accent, the G. Hayi looks very nice with the blue tint. I will sell it for $10 as a compact bush at about 3"-4" in diameter.

So of the three pieces of gracilaria I put in, the dark maroon one has stayed maroon, it was in the lowest light of the three.The two others, one in high (350-400 par) and one in medium (200-250 par) have moved from an orange color to a fiery red in only 4 days. Pic below!attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371761719.502427.jpg

That is gorgeous.

With the large Foxface in the picture, it brings home the point about how this macro can be displayed in a tank which has macro consumers in it.

Patrick

have you noticed any difference with the light levels? after a week or so, they all seem to be equally happy in my tank.

Dennis,

I suspect that you have low level lighting. With lower lighting levels, tank biological functions can often easier maintain a mixed garden reef. At this stage in your experience level, I suggest you opt for lower light loving inhabitants. I operated soft coral and mushroom tanks with less than 3W of NO fluorescents. PAR values below 50 will provide a wonderfully easy to maintain marine aquarium with much biodiversity. As I run high nutrient systems to simulate GOM ecosystem, I mix in filter feeders into the lower light habitats.

To better evaluate your lite intensity, borrow my 10 year old PAR meter.

Also, you should come pick up your gift rock. I may be wrong about the identification of Dragon Breadth first cousin. As it gets bigger, it looks like Nemasoses. In addittion, this 1.3 lb accessory rock has three separate emerging Red Grapes as well as two other red macros that I have not identified.

La bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

Thanks patric. I may be able to stop by Monday if you're free. I am curious what my PAR values are. That should also give me a clue as to how high to run my lights and what height above the tank.

Patrick, when I first put these macros in my tank my nitrates were at around 10. Since then the macro have been dying back a little and nitrates are at 0. I've been feeding real heavy. Will the die off stop when it equals food demand? It's not bad and my Molly's love eating the dead stuff. Just curious. It's just the tips of a few leaves. All macro capable of making roots are doing so very quickly. Maybe an adjustment to the new tank?

I find the feather, Caulerpa Paspoides, grows the fastest with some die off in one area and new fast growth in another area. In tanks with lower light levels, it settles down to steady growth. With mollies, it is perfect grazing and grooming. I find the holdfast on the blade, Caulerpa Prolifera, to be more aggressive than C. Paspoides.

Did you get any of the red macro, Gracilaria Hayi?

Archived