What to plug into eb8

So I have an apex I'm working on setting up and I only have 8 outlets. Which of these things would you choose to have connected to the apex vs a regular power strip?

4 apex controllable lights

2 apex controllable powerheads

Return pump

Skimmer

UV Sterilizer

ATO

Possibly a heater

Maybe get another apex power strip?

I like to have everything plugged in to my EB8s as you can monitor energy usage on the Apex UI. I only have one vortech that is not plugged in as it's goes thru the UPS.

If your lights are LEDs, then you could use a power Y cable to combine the plugs.

Even though my LEDs are dimmed by their own controllers, I have them plugged into my Apex to shut them off based on temperature. I have the lights, fans and heaters all controlled by the Apex for temperature management. I definitely had the ATO on the Apex for the float switches and for pH since I added pickling lime to the ATO (for limewater/kalkwasser). My return pump was/is just on a UPS, and my UV sterilizer and circulation pump were/are on a plain ol' power strip.

I like to have everything plugged in to my EB8s as you can monitor energy usage on the Apex UI. I only have one vortech that is not plugged in as it's goes thru the UPS.

If your lights are LEDs, then you could use a power Y cable to combine the plugs.

You could run them all into a single strip, which plugs into the EB8.

Heater, return pump, skimmer, and ATO for sure.

This way you can setup feeding and water change cycles without flooding your skimmer collection cup or sucking the food through the overflow before the fish can eat it or dumping topoff water into the sump if you water change from it instead of the DT. Heater obviously so you can use the Apex to control the temp.

Yeah I have my blue channels plugged into one port on the EB8 and my white channels plugged into one. 6 power cords into 2 outlets. they pull nearly enough juice to overload the switches. I have my heater, my ALK and CA dosers plugged in as well.

I don't have my skimmer, return pump, or reactors/chiller running on the eb8, I have them on an american dj power strip so I can switch them off with ease if need be. Otherwise they run 24/7 so what's the point of using eb8 ports for them.

Yeah I have my blue channels plugged into one port on the EB8 and my which channels plugged into one. 6 power cords into 2 outlets. they pull nearly enough juice to overload the switches. I have my heater, my ALK and CA dosers plugged in as well.

I don't have my skimmer, return pump, or reactors/chiller running on the eb8, I have them on an american dj power strip so I can switch them off with ease if need be. Otherwise they run 24/7 so what's the point of using eb8 ports for them.

I like to be able to control *everything* remotely. If you have the capability and the available ports, why not?

I didn't have enough ports on my EB8 so I'm doing the exact same thing, probably with the same switch. I water change from a spare pump in my sump so I have to manually flip off the return pump, skimmer and ATO. If I had the space I would definitely prefer to run them from the Apex.

Neither the lights nor the powerheads need to be plugged in to the EB8. You can "dim" them off via the VDM. Problem solved!

Posted Image

I see! That makes sense especially for the lights. They turn off when fully dimmed, these a360's don't do that moonlight setting when fully dimmed like the a350's

like mitch was saying, one of the neat features of the EB8 is that you'll see power consumption charted. If you want to use that feature, you'd have to plug them in, either individually or via a powerstrip plugged in to the EB8.

Archived