Nutrient control thoughts

subsea

The First Law of Thermodynamics is that matter can not be created nor destroyed. The First Law of Physics is that for every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I will attempt to use these principals to explain my evolution into using natural reef keeping techniques. So as not to get too broad of a scope, I will focus on using live rock, sponges and macro in the refugium.

If we consider the nitrogen molecule with respect to live rock, it is all about bacteria within internal porosity in the live rock. With nitrifying bacteria, ammonia and nitrite are recycled into nitrate. Only if rock has deep internal pores do faculative bacteria and sulfide bacteria reduce nitrate to nitrogen gas. This is a true nutrient export mechanism. During the early debate about deep sand methods, Plenumn sand beds, and live rock a controlled test was conducted. Thirty identical tanks were set up with controlled experiments. The three methods compared was 2" DSB using .1mm aroggonite, 4"DSB using 2mm-5mm arrogonite with Jaubert Plenumn and live rock.

They all worked at nitrogen nutrient export with no water changes. The biggest point that I took away from the test was the huge volumn required for the live rock.

Within the dynamics of the refugium there is competition for nutrients. Even without photosynthesis, sponges are absorbing nutrients directly into there biomass. This type of cryptic zone would favor low flow rates. Also, without photosynthesis, mud filters assimilate detritus where worms and other things directly absorb detritus as food. In both cases, nutrients have been assimilated into biomass. With respect to sponges and worms in the refugiums, these are nutrient recycling processes that produce complex food webs that feed our tank inhabitants.

With photosynthesis, macro absorb ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, inorganic phosphate, iron, copper and molibdium. When refugium macro is pruned and removed, it is nutrient export. When refugium macro is feed to fish in display tank it is nutrient recycle.

The different organisms that recycle nutrients into there biomass are the reason that we keep reef tanks. Fish, coral, janitors, detrivores, macroalgae, microalgae and bacteria all process nutrients and accumulate biomass.

How do we manage to promote our favorite organisms. We learn the requirements of our favorite reef inhabitants and provide conditions to promote those organisms as well as desirable companions. It is a marvelous mix of science and art.

I welcome an informed discussion of nutrient processors in reef aquarium.

La bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

. . . It is a marvelous mix of science and art . . .

Too true, but a lot of the times I don't feel like an artist and the science is over my head! laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Do you have a reference for the study with 30 tanks? It is almost impossible to find any solid research looking at more than just a few tanks.

. . . It is a marvelous mix of science and art . . .

Too true, but a lot of the times I don't feel like an artist and the science is over my head! :lol::lol::lol:

Do you have a reference for the study with 30 tanks? It is almost impossible to find any solid research looking at more than just a few tanks.

Tim,

I will attempt to find the link.

Patrick

Both Ron Schmick and Rob Toon gained up on Bob Goemns, who represented Doctor Jaubert of the Monaco State Aquarium. They all had more degrees than a thermometer. Tanks were fed NH4 as a nutrient source with no water changes. Test duration was 90 days at a California university lab. The three case studies represented were live rock, 2" sand bed using aroggonite in a grain size .1mm-1.0mm and a Jaubert Plenumn with a 4" DSB of coarse aroggonite in a grain size 2mm-5mm. I do not remember the details on the live rock but the most important thing that I took from the experiment was how much volumn live rock used in relation to substrate. I do not consider live rock essential or even necessary for bio filtration. With the high cost associated with live rock, I have chosen to use live rock as a center piece in the tank. Between substrate, mud and macro there is an abundance of bio filtration options in our reef tanks.

All systems removed ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to undetectable levels.

Archived