Need help reducing micro bubbles

Taylor_Pound1127

Hello. I have an Eschopps 1000 overflow (dual U-tube), and an Odyssea 1000gph pump. I have the pipes flow from the overflow box straight into the left side of my sump (the drain side). The issue I'm having is that there are tons of bubbles shooting into drain side of my sump. I have three compartments in my sump. Left is my drain side. water travels under over through the baffles into my refug, then over under into my return pump side. the micro bubbles manage to travel into the return pump, and go into my display tank.

Should I make the drain pipes smaller to avoid the water from mixing with the air while it drains? should I converge the two pipes, then T them off, cap one end, and drill a hole in the cap? or should I turn down my return pump?

Well you could put a couple of 90 turns to slow the water a bit. Also if this is a 75 gal tank the 1000 gal per hour may be a bit much unless you have a manifold w/ a couple of reactors runing off it. but for a 75 gal a 700 gph overflow should be the max. With a 1000gph box and pump you would need at least a 40 gal sump. Neither the less you will have lots of bubbles travel into the drain side of the sump. Try putting in a pipe down to the bottom of drain side sump w/ an elbow pointing away from the under / overflow wall. This may give the bubbles a chance to rise before hitting the wall. I run a 75 gal w/ a Eihem 1260 w/ 660 gph and 500 gph at a 4' rise. This gives me plenty of skim action and the rest of flow comes from the powerheads. I have a drilled tank and a DIY overflow box that is estimated at 700gph w/ a 1" bulkhead and drain kit. It runs into a 29 gal 2 compartment sump w/ the deep drainline and elbow pointing backwards. It runs over the top and then thru two 2 unders to an over the top and back to the pump. i run sponge between the first over the top and first under. This i call my bubble buster. As the water runs over and the bubbles hit the submerged sponge it burst them and really nothing even makes it thru to the second under wall. This is a two inch drop from 9 - 7 ". To much drop will cause the bubbles' momentum to let them travel deeper before reversing direction and make it thru the under. My first under is 1" higher than I keep my second sump chamber to insure no thing can pass over and everything goes thru the sponge. I would try sponge first. And if that doesn't work try a valve after the pump and slow the flow a bit and see if that helps. I suspect you may have too much momentum moving thru your sump from drain side to pump side. .

i don't have any good information for you but i wanted to say hi from a fellow non aggie College Stationer (i read your fw post). Glad to get some more locals on here interested. Im guessing you have a Fresh water and Salt water tank?

pm me if you ever wanna get together and see my tank

Archived