150 Gallon Tank

lenver

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just make sure you keep the GSP in the middle of the sand bed. This is not something that you want in a 150g tank that has rock touching each other.

I would also recommend against not getting any xenia.

Here is what can happen if you allow GSP and Xenia in your tank. FYI this is after an aggressive GSP pruning on several rocks.

post-1271-0-41381200-1373315094_thumb.jpg

Yes, after reading about GSP that's why I left it where it is right now, it will be it's own little island.

I can believe it, it started multiplying like crazy when I installed the new lights.

They didn't have any, anyone that has seen any at an LFS let me know. I was actually looking forward to getting one.

One Spot Foxface.

BTW I did get 3 Emerald crabs

They look pretty happy, I'm glad they took to the anemone pretty quick! May need to keep an eye on parameters over the next few months, since the system is fairly new it may not be stable/cycled enough for them to thrive just yet. Best of luck.

That anemone is now hiding from them, and they still follow it, there are two more GBTA that don't seem to mind that much so they're using them, but whenever they see that one they go after it, I'm hoping they'll distribute their energy between them.

They are very hyper as soon as they went in the tank they went for the anemones, they're very happy. Since there won't be any predators in the tank I think they will run the show.

OK, new addition, should keep the pump running for at least an hour, will give it a test tomorrow

Omni LCD 900VA Tower Line-Interactive 120V UPS with LCD display and USB port

post-2381-0-40033400-1374115592_thumb.jp

Please describe your UPS system.

Having back up protection for circulation is critical for tank survival. With oxygen consuming bacteria in sand beds, lost circulation for an hour can be fatal for fish.

When I lived in hurricane alley, I had a whole house generator with automatic starting and switching. Independent of that, each tank had a battery operated air pump with automatic start when power fails at the receptacle. These Penn Plax air pumps operated on two D cell batteries for one week and cost less than $15.

Patrick

OK, so I got this Omni LCD 900VA Tower Line-Interactive 120V UPS with LCD display and USB port.

I have two returns pumps Rio 3100, I also have 3 circulation pumps in the display tank, what I did is connect one of the Rio 3100 pumps to this UPS system, it says that it can run a PC for 50 minutes or a vcr/dvr for 2.5 hours, so I'm expecting to get at least an hour on my return pump.

I will do a test today, will disconnect power to it and see how long it can run, the LCD has a display that will show me how much power it has left.

It also has surge suppression-only outlets which makes sure during storms or other incidents my components do not fail due to a power spike or similar.

We have very few power outages in Hutto, and they usually last less than 30 minutes, I expect this to be enough to have good circulation in the tank.

PS. I also have a generator just in case we have a big issue.

your UPS should give you how much voltage you can run for how long. so, if you know the voltage of your pump you should be able to figure it out. i'm not sure how age affects this time, but i do know that you have change out your battery occasionally. i think my first one lasted 2 years. anyway, i'm not sure how they provide ratings. i am guessing it is on a brand new battery, but it could be at some dimenished capacty due to age. so, you may want to check the voltage too, just in case.

i'm going to look for that air pump subsea mentioned. the one i saw in a store was $45.

In the theoretical, you would use battery capacity in ampere-hrs. For sake of simplicity, assume 10VDC battery. If battery capacity is rated at 500 amperes hrs then for this 10 volt battery, the power available is 5000W. If pump is 100W, then you have 50 hours of operation.

I like, plug it in and test it. Keep it simple.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I'm placing this so I can do an update tomorrow, just so I remember.

Right now I have for fish

4 green chromis

6 False Percula clowns

1 Sailfin Tang

1 Yellow Tang

1 Powder Blue Tang

1 Red Fire Shrimp

All are doing very well, want to add more fish but really don't know what else to put in, thinking maybe a yellow eye tang, a couple of red firefish. Any suggestions??

Archived