Thinking about aeration possibilities

KevinB

In the search to better aerate my tank (my fox face has recently started going to the surface for air), I'll be getting some macros from Patrick this weekend, but I was thinking about other ways to aerate the water.

I already have my powerheads agitating the surface of the DT, but what can I do in the sump? It's an area that doesn't get a lot of turbulent flow. The water goes through a bubble trap and that's about it. I'll be adding another divider to keep the macro seperated from the pump, but not a lot of turbulence there.

I don't use a skimmer, which in my opinion has show the drawback of less aeration. I though about putting my skimmer back in there and letting the skimmate drip into the sump, but it adds a fair amount of noise.

If it is water agitation that I'm after, I started wondering about a water tumbler. It would be an acrylic square tube, shown below. The idea is to tumble the water as many times as possible and as roughly as possible. To prevent splashing and noise, there would be a lid. It would most likely be sealed so that air is forced to exit the bottom.

The top would be sealed, but removable for cleaning using plastic thumbscrews.

Air would be provided by a small air pump and tube. The bottom would be open, and holes in the sides would allow debris to exit.

I'm interested in your opinions, especially regarding flow rate cons and pros.

thanks!

post-2217-0-14249900-1371064241_thumb.jpg

I would put the water exit completely under the water line, move the air intake to somewhere around the water line and have a small vent hole nr\ear the top where thr salt creep that will build up around it will be easy to clean. Thius would create air flow going in opposite direction against the water flow. It wouldn't take long for sponges to start growing which I would see as beneficial.

What's the water temp? That size tank shouldn't have any problem with several foxface with even minor surface agitation.

Yeah, i was kind of thinking the same thing. Temperature has a profound effect on the oxygen carrying capacity of water.

In the past water temp was at 79, recently I lowered it to 78 after the change in fish behavior.

Agreed, it's a tank large enough that it shouldn't be an issue, especially with a completely open top, but it seems to be nonetheless.

I've had a bubble stone in the sump for 7 months now.

Interesting idea Tim, I'll think about doing that. Any opinions on flow or if this would even be much of a help?

In the past water temp was at 79, recently I lowered it to 78 after the change in fish behavior.

Hmm, that should be plenty cool. Was wondering if you were in the high 80's or something much higher.

Kevin,

Foxface are the most moody fish that I have ever kept in captivity. I would use a different indicator to evaluate oxygen in your tank. Surface agitation, good surface skimming and noisey bio balls or rock rubble as tank water enters sumps first compartment or all good techniques. In a new book by Albert Thiel "Nano-Reef Aquarium", he describes an Oxydator which is used extensively in Europe. Oxygen generators using hydrogen peroxide can also be installed. If your oxygen is low, your carbon dioxide should be high. Are you showing lower pH?

Patrick

Patrick, I have been struggling with low pH for some time now...I considering just buying a Salifert O2 test kit to find out once and for all, and if it's low, that will give me reason to do something about it, and a way to test it once I've made changes.

What is your low pH? Is your substrate aragonite? The oxygen test kit will answer all questions.

The box that you posted will work. It is a passive degassing column. We used them in the offshore drilling. Look up "poor boy degasser". An adjustable ball valve is all you need to fine tune turbulent flow.

Patrick

Archived