Marine ich and something else - Tang in DT

JCAB

I have a tang with what looked liked ich. As the dots started coming off, some of them where actually stringy. Now the tang looks like the lint collector in my clothes dryer. She had the dots for about 5 days and now has this lint/fuzzy look for about 3 days. Other than the way she looks, she's acting "normal" through the whole process - doesn't really scratch and eats really well. I've been adding garlicXtreme to the food and am running a uv. The rest of the fish are currently unaffected. Unfortunately, it is a reef tank, so wondering if anyone has used Dr. G's parasitic formula or any other method that has worked for them. Thanks!

I have a tang with what looked liked ich. As the dots started coming off, some of them where actually stringy. Now the tang looks like the lint collector in my clothes dryer. She had the dots for about 5 days and now has this lint/fuzzy look for about 3 days. Other than the way she looks, she's acting "normal" through the whole process - doesn't really scratch and eats really well. I've been adding garlicXtreme to the food and am running a uv. The rest of the fish are currently unaffected. Unfortunately, it is a reef tank, so wondering if anyone has used Dr. G's parasitic formula or any other method that has worked for them. Thanks!

I've used the Dr G's in my reef tank and haven't had any issues with it. Though I do believe that the garlic helps promote appetite it's not really a cure in and of itself. The trick is to keep the fish eating long enough to fight off the parasite. Once it stops eating it's a goner.

Do you know what it actually has? It does not sounds like ich. Any pics you've been able to take of it? Not trying to be morbid but knowing that something looks like and what it is, then how you treated would probably help others if they find themselves in the same boat.

Hey Chris. I took pictures and took them to Aquadome. Was told that it looked like a mild case of ich (no one else had it). A few days later the "spots" went away and it had that fuzzy look. Now the sailfin tang has something going on and a swallowtail angel has some of its fins fraying. Went back to Aquadome to get Dr. G's, showed the picture and was told that it looked like some sort of parasite. They ate some of the food, but the sailfin and the angel look worse (it may be due in part to them not eating much, since they don't "love" the new medicated food). After the initial outbreak, I started a uv sterilizer and took my water sample to RCA and they said that the water looked ok, but there was a trace of nitrates (I'm sure it was from me constantly feeding the tang to make sure it kept it's strength up). I'll upload pictures as soon as I figure out how to do that!.

Thanks, Mike. Thawing some out and will try that. The pic of the sailfin is what it looks like now (after being ok until yesterday). Tang 1 is from about a week ago, Tang 2 is from a couple of days ago. On an interesting note, when my coral banded shrimp isn't trying to catch fish, the tang will go up to it and the coral banded will start cleaning it.

post-3005-0-27217300-1371054576_thumb.jp

post-3005-0-46268300-1371054581_thumb.jp

post-3005-0-38521300-1371054591_thumb.jp

Archived