Building a skimmer

brian.srock

Ok may sound a little crazy so let me know your opinions. I can't really put a skimmer in my sump. I built the height of my stand to accomodate a 55 gallon tank plus 6" so I can get my arm in. I had a HOB aqua c remora pro in the sump but due to the height restrictions I was never able to fully remove the collection cup so I used a shop vac to clean it but never touched the collection cup neck and that may of caused a lot of my algae issues.

When I upgraded to my 90 I took the skimmer out and tried going skimmerless but I'm not satisfied with the way I want my tank to look.

I also can't afford (read don't) a $500 skimmer for my tank.

My plan is simple. I want to use an extra phosban reactor that I have lying around attach my rio pump from my aqua c to it, cut a circular hole on the top cover and throw a circular collection cup w/ a gasket between them, cut another tiny hole for airline tubing and throw a couple splitters with air stones at the bottom and some sort of air control valve. I want the skimmate to then drain into a gallon jug. I need to think some more things through but thoughts so far?

i think your idea has merit. i'm trying to remember where i read a lot of discussions about the history of skimmers. this is more or less one of the first designs. it talked a lot about the pros and cons of each different type. i think it was in one of the three books i bought. pm me to remind me to look it up this weekend if you want me to point you towards it.

I don't think you're probably going to have the desired outcome using airstones. The goal is to get those bubbles as small as possible to maximize surface area for DOCs to attach to. Airstones make MASSIVE bubbles compared what a needle wheel produces. I'd think long and hard about taking george up on his offer :)

What's the water level in your sump? Also, how much space(area) do you have for the skimmer inside the sump? you could build a custom hangon skimmer or a diy skimmer that sits inside.. Depending on your water level you might have to build a stand for your skimmer to operate on. I've seen the airstone skimmer work on smaller pico tank and I'm actually building one right now. I'm not really sure how it would on a larger scale. Could be very interesting.

I think the easiest route would be to use the body of George's skimmer and obtain a needle wheel pump temporarily until you build one or figure something out long-term.

I've built a few over the years, made my own venturi's, (haven't made my own pinwheels) and used wood airstones but they deteriorate fast. Keep in mind with either a venturi or a needle wheel the pump does not neccessarily have to be attached directly to the housing. Of course my strongest advice would be "Don't bother"

Ok may sound a little crazy so let me know your opinions. I can't really put a skimmer in my sump. I built the height of my stand to accomodate a 55 gallon tank plus 6" so I can get my arm in. I had a HOB aqua c remora pro in the sump but due to the height restrictions I was never able to fully remove the collection cup so I used a shop vac to clean it but never touched the collection cup neck and that may of caused a lot of my algae issues.

When I upgraded to my 90 I took the skimmer out and tried going skimmerless but I'm not satisfied with the way I want my tank to look.

I know you don't want to buy one but if you end up looking at new ones at some point, the tunze skimmer I got has a tiny footprint and is very short. I have a big clearance problem in my stand and this one works out great for size.

I think your plan sounds like it would work. I bet if you make what your describing you could tweak it enough to get it working efficiently. And it would be fun.

I don't think you're probably going to have the desired outcome using airstones. The goal is to get those bubbles as small as possible to maximize surface area for DOCs to attach to. Airstones make MASSIVE bubbles compared what a needle wheel produces. I'd think long and hard about taking george up on his offer smile.png

i remember hearing lime wood works for this...they have them at my lfs

Archived