Salt mixing too weak

Bpb

Well I decided to finally do a water change after a month. Due to a lengthy battle with E. coli I haven't had the time to do any tank maintenance for a while. For some reason the last half of my last bag of reefer crystals has been mixing really weak. It has taken me 3 full cups to reach 1.025 whereas before it only took 2.5. Since I used all of what I had, I thought it would be enough. But is just mixing to weak. 1.021. Refractometer is calibrated so I guess the salt is just inconsistent. My solution? Let the bucket sit in the sun until enough evaporates to where I have the right salinity. It's faster than ordering more

post-2651-0-25944200-1370544502_thumb.jp

Yeah it's been a while since I've done anything to my tank. everything looks very happy and healthy without alot of nuisance algae (except for 3 large patches of bubble algae I found when looking real close. They're in the complete shaded dark sections. Odd. I always thought of algae as photosynthetic.

My skimmer also stopped working yesterday too, and now that I was well enough I took the pump apart for the first time ever. It's a crappy Atman PH1100 pump so while a POS already, I discovered that an entire dead peppermint shrimp made its way past my overflow sponge, out of the filter sock somehow, into the skimmer, and gotten grinded up in the needle wheel, which was causing the venturi to stop sucking air, and the pump to keep failing. I cleaned it all out and it works much better, however, it still keeps losing its siphon occasionally. Awaiting eshopps to email me back about a possible replacement pump.

Since I realize this bucket may take a few days for the salinity to rise, I went ahead and changed out both my GFO and Carbon in the reactors. Hope I don't shock everything. The GFO and carbon are both approaching the two month old mark.

ha. read the first post and thought "i have some salt...RR/Col. St...never mind". then the third post "i have an unused skimmer to borrow...RR/Col. Station...never mind".

of course, if you are interested in the drive, then you are welcome to steal some salt or borrow the skimmer. BM NAC3. it worked a few months ago.

Archived