Best Method to Quiet a Sump ???

So I am setting up my 75 gal build, have completed my sump and am in the process of experimenting w/ the inflow into the sump. I have tried a couple of different things and so far nothing is really quiet. I'm good on the top side in the overflow box as i moved from a standard "J" type overflow to a straight standpipe w/ a "Maggie Muffler" on top. By far the quietest and has a built in snail guard, but on the bottom I have tried going all the way to 9" below the surface where it is very quiet, but the back pressure causes the top to have the toilet flushing effect. Going to the other extreme of leaving a 1" gap from bottom of pipe to water surface creates a load splashing sound. Going 2"below the surface creates a loud gurgleing sound as trap air escapes. Any deeper and the flushing effect begins again. I have two 90 degree turns in the piping down from the stand pipe to slow the water down a bit as well. Any suggestions on what is the quietest method to introduce the overflow water to the sump?

NEON REEFER

Turning off the return pump is probably the best way. absolute silence.

i think steven's holes is a good way. there are many threads here, and elsewhere, discussing it. mine has holes with a tube in it and depending on how deep the tube is the gurgling goes away.

mine also exists 1" - 2" above the water into a box. i'm sure it has a name, but you can see it in the picture below. it is moved off to the side of the overflow in that picture. the overflow lines up with the big hole and the other other hole is for air (i'm guessing). it really churns up and aerates a lot. you can hear it when the doors are open, but not otherwise.

post-3177-0-12772100-1370544165_thumb.jp

Maybe you could drill a hole and install a little 90 degree air valve to let air out? I have one of these on my overflow to keep it from gurgling

Stephen

Where exactly does this 90 degree air valve go? On the drop pipe prior to going below the water line of sump?

By the way i was looking at your build thread. Man that is awesome! Wish i had your skills.

i think steven's holes is a good way. there are many threads here, and elsewhere, discussing it. mine has holes with a tube in it and depending on how deep the tube is the gurgling goes away.

mine also exists 1" - 2" above the water into a box. i'm sure it has a name, but you can see it in the picture below. it is moved off to the side of the overflow in that picture. the overflow lines up with the big hole and the other other hole is for air (i'm guessing). it really churns up and aerates a lot. you can hear it when the doors are open, but not otherwise.

attachicon.gifIMG_2247.JPG

Yes I experiemnted w/ holes in the J tube on the stand if that's what you mean and i never really got it quiet. I drilled a whole where the J makes it's turn off the stand and got a 1/4" piece of hard tubing about 18 " long and tried it at different lengths down the stand pipe. I could get it pretty quiet but i found moving it above the J pipe even a little would change the level in the box and lowering it to the J pipe top meant it would suck water into it causing the slurping noise again like the open stand pipe just not as loud. The Maggie Muffler fixed that noise for me on the top. I just need to get the bottom right now. I like the idea of the box I can see the top but how is it open on the bottom?

attachicon.gifIMG_2247.JPG

Yes I experiemnted w/ holes in the J tube on the stand if that's what you mean and i never really got it quiet. I drilled a whole where the J makes it's turn off the stand and got a 1/4" piece of hard tubing about 18 " long and tried it at different lengths down the stand pipe. I could get it pretty quiet but i found moving it above the J pipe even a little would change the level in the box and lowering it to the J pipe top meant it would suck water into it causing the slurping noise again like the open stand pipe just not as loud. The Maggie Muffler fixed that noise for me on the top. I just need to get the bottom right now. I like the idea of the box I can see the top but how is it open on the bottom?

yes, it is open at the bottom. it sits on the glass, so i'm not entirely sure where the water goes, but it finds enough gaps to get out. it was at one time glued to the drain pipe, but one of the guys that had the tank before me broke it off to make it easier to move around and get out of the sump. even if it were glued though, it would still sit withing 0.125" from the bottom of the sump.

bring the pipe barely above the water surface and incase the exit with a slightly larger pipe piece that goes below the water line is one way

Interesting Bio

So the discharge pipe is 1" pipe and i would bring it to about 1/2 " above water line and slide say a 1 1/2" pipe over it that goes all the way to rest on the bottom and how high up the 1" pipe above the water line?

google durso stand pipe, or search on ARC...it is by far the best way

More interested in the noise from the water entering the sump rather than from the stamd pipe in the overflow box

Maybe you could drill a hole and install a little 90 degree air valve to let air out? I have one of these on my overflow to keep it from gurgling

Stephen

Where exactly does this 90 degree air valve go? On the drop pipe prior to going below the water line of sump?

By the way i was looking at your build thread. Man that is awesome! Wish i had your skills.

Can you post a pic or drawing of your setup ? Thanks for the complimentspunk.gif

bring the pipe barely above the water surface and incase the exit with a slightly larger pipe piece that goes below the water line is one way

Interesting Bio

So the discharge pipe is 1" pipe and i would bring it to about 1/2 " above water line and slide say a 1 1/2" pipe over it that goes all the way to rest on the bottom and how high up the 1" pipe above the water line?

I'd shoot for a 1.25" pipe to incase it in, you might be able to also bring it below the water line and add holes like a french drain to reduce the back pressure.

I've seen a video somewhere of the first design i mentioned. the guy would slide the large pipe up for maintenance and back down to help silence and reduce splash.

On my sump, I find that if I move my piping around I can find a sweet spot that generates no noise. That being said, I'm using acrylic tubing from the overflow. My piping is also far below the water line...

• 2 weeks later...

So here's what I did to quiet it down. In the sump I ran the pipe down to the biottom and put an elbow on the end. On the top side i experimented with J pipe, Durso stand pipe and then finally went w/ a modified "Maggie Muffler" . A Maggie Muffler is basically an inverted Hofer Gurgle Buster. But the hole on the top is too small and there is no tubing. So I drilled it to take a 1/4" OD air tubing and placed a tightly fitting peice of tubing in the bell, found the sweet spot and cut tubing just above the bell. Only noise I get is a little trickle sound from the top where the water flows over from the overeflow skimmer, and from the bottom only a little trickle noise where the water flows over the top of the first sump wall to the underflow of the 1st bubble baffle. Both of these could be eliminated entirely if needed. On the top simply adding an inch to the stand pipe would eliminate the overflow trickle. And in the sunp by adding an inch of water to the second side would eleiminate the trickle from the first side.

Thanks go to Mitch for showing me his Hofer Gurgle Buster and for suggesting the deep sump pipe and the elbow on the end.

Does not even come close to a Herbie setup. Any overflow that allows air will have noise. I have tried Durso, Hoffer, and Maggie muffler to no avail trying to reach that silent overflow. Not until I put a Herbie setup on my overflow. Here is a video of it to show. Just click on pic. The vid shows my backup using a Hoffer, but that was changed out to a standard pipe after seeing how quiet the Herbie was-

th_7cecfdf1.jpg

Does not even come close to a Herbie setup. Any overflow that allows air will have noise. I have tried Durso, Hoffer, and Maggie muffler to no avail trying to reach that silent overflow. Not until I put a Herbie setup on my overflow. Here is a video of it to show. Just click on pic. The vid shows my backup using a Hoffer, but that was changed out to a standard pipe after seeing how quiet the Herbie was-

Yes I took a look at the Herbie and the Bean and for many of us we fiind this set up far too complicated and it seems to require an overflow (exterior) of the display. Not really pheasable for an internal over flow box as it takes up way too much space. And it depends on a siphon which is why it is so quiet but that means you must make adjuistments to it, IT IS NOT PLUG AND PLay. I like to set and forget. With the Herbie and it's dependance on a siphon everytime you shuit off your pump you loose siphon and have to restart it and readjust and sometimes repurge air from the lines. Definitly not plug and play! The Herbie was made popular by a ReefCentral thread started by a forum member “Herbie” about 9 - 10 years ago. It is effective but not for me. The Maggie is also effective, not as quiet and i would not want it as a headboard in my bedroom, but for living area it's bare trickle noise is un noticeable and it is a plug and play set it once and forget it device. . .

Archived